If you answer one question, please pick mine!

Hi Doctor,

Geoff here. I gave oral sex to a few guys in the past few months. I am freaked out, scared and now very depressed. You always say oral is low or minimal risk....how low is low?

I have never taken ejaculate in my mouth. but I know precum has a high rate of passing the virus on. What if these buds has a high viral load? I will never do oral without a rubber again!

I love you Doctor Bob.

Geoff in Upstate NYC

Hello Very Depressed Geoff in Upstate NY,

You "know precum has a high rate of passing the virus on"????? Well as Mark Twain once said, "it ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." Geoff, the real facts are that precum can contain HIV, but usually in much lower concentrations than ejaculate. The estimated per-act risk of acquiring HIV from unprotected receptive oral sex with a partner confirmed to be HIV positive is 1 per 10,000 exposures. Your estimated risk would be even less, as we do not know the HIV status of your "few guys" and you were exposed only to precum. Consequently your level of "freak-out" is not warranted based on potential real risk! I would recommend you get a single HIV rapid test three months from the time of your last potential exposure. The odds are astronomically in your favor that you did not contract HIV from these episodes. Take some time to read through the archives of this site and its related links. I'm confident you'll find the information there reassuring. If you remain scared, anxious and depressed, counseling may well help you address your irrational fears.

Be well. Stay safe. Stay well. Love you, too, Geoff!

Good luck!

hiv in scotland
Oral sex: Precum concern?