Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Organ Transplant-Immunosuppressed-WB Inconclusive
May 16, 2007

Dr. Bob, I recently tested positive with the Elisa and Inconclusive WB. My Dr., ordered another WB which again was inconclusive. Today the ID group I have been referred to requested a HIVQ, CD4/CD8 and an Enumeration test. I am 10+ years post organ tranplant (heart), and have tested negative in all of my past annual tests. I am married for 4+ years, together for 5.5+, and recently my wife gave birth to a healthy baby boy. She also tested negative during the pregnancy through her OB/GYN. Everything we have read and researched on our own indicates we should not worry. Do you feel there is anything for me to worry about with this recent test and the stress it has added to my life? Or do you think that there is some other virus that could be effecting it with my body being immunosuppressed? I want to get on with my life and not worry about it and continue living my life to the fullest with the Gift I have received!! Thank you for your reponse. Regards, Don't Ever Give Up

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello Don't Ever Give Up,

I do not believe another virus is confounding your HIV test results. I also do not believe you are HIV positive. More than likely your ELISA is a false-positive. Indeterminate test results account for 4% to 20% of Western Blot tests. There are a variety of possible causes for this and I have discussed these in detail in this forum many times in the past. (Check the archives!)

The most important factor is evaluating indeterminate results is risk assessment. Folks like you with low-to-no risk who have indeterminate rests are almost never infected with HIV. Because you are immunosuppressed from your heart transplant, your immune antibody response may be altered. I agree with the more extensive workup ordered by your ID physician. This should hopefully provide you with the definitive result you need to put these worries to rest.

Congratulations on your 10+ years! and also on the birth of your son. Enjoy every moment. Life indeed is as gift. One that none of us appreciate as much as we should.

Be well!

Dr. Bob

Previous
Need to move on...
Next
chapter 2---scared. worried. anxious guy

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.