16 years and counting

dear Bob, Thanks for keeping everyone informed about HIV. U are my role model and my inspiration to become Hiv specialist.

I am a 1st year medical student. About 16 years ago, I had unprotected vaginal and oral sex with a female with unknown status for a month. i developed typical ARS symptoms with sever sorethroat, lymphadeopathy and night sweats lasting 2-3 weeks. All symptoms sunsided spontanously but 2 nontender, rubbery enlarged anterior cervical nodes which remains essentially unchanged till now. My CBC, chem 20, SED rate and CRP remain normal and I have no symptoms at this time.

Is it possible that I was infected with HIV 16 years ago and have remained asymptomatic for all these years? What is the likelihood? Do I need to be worried about these 2 nontender but enlarged (2-3 cm) nodes that have remained enlarged but unchanged. I cannot feel any other nodes? Should I get tested?

I will make a donation. I hope to see u in an upcoming meeting.

Hi First Year Med. Stud.,

Asymptomatic for 16 years? The chances of this are so remote as to be essentially nonexistent.

Should you worry about the two nontender anterior cervical nodes? No. You should worry about passing your anatomy finals!

Should you get tested? I see no medical reason to do so. However, there may well be a good psychological reason. You are obviously still a bit worried about this "youthful indiscretion." Consequently getting an HIV rapid test may well be the most effective and efficient way to put these antique worries permanently to rest. Results are available in as few as 20 minutes. I can already assure you the results will be negative, but I'll send you some of my good-luck karma nonetheless. If you don't need it for the HIV test, apply it to your anatomy final exam!

Be well.

PCR and Oral test
every time i think i'm out...they pull me back in (and then i need dr. bob)