Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

how high is my risk?
May 14, 2007

I recently had sex with someone of unknown status and the condom came off inside me. Neither of us noticed (or he did not say anything) (we were a bit drunk). I did not feel it/discover it inside me until the next day, after we had had sex again (still went unnoticed). I know that a one time exposure is low risk (though an obvious risk). However, since the condom (which I believe he ejaculated in) was in me for so many hours, does that make this one exposure very high risk? I know I need to get tested, but it is still too early to get tested, and I cannot stop worrying/obsessing, especially because I have been having joint/muscle pain after limited activity. I also came down with tonsilitis, but that was 2 weeks before the muscle and joint pain began. Do early hiv symptoms happen simultaneously?

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

The risk of condom failure, whether the condom breaks or slips off unnoticed, would be the same as that associated with unprotected sex, because in essence condom failure is unprotected sex. I can't tell from your post exactly where the condom would up front door or rear entry, so to speak. (I also can't tell if you're male or female.) The estimated per-act risk for acquisition of HIV from unprotected penile-vaginal sex with a partner confirmed to be HIV positive is 10 per 10,000 exposures. For receptive anal sex with the same parameters, the risk would be 50 per 10,000 exposures. Your estimated risk would be less, because we do not know the status of your inebriated stud puppy. Yes, testing is indeed warranted at the three-month mark! Symptoms are notoriously unreliable for determining who is and is not HIV infected. The symptoms associated with ARV (acute retroviral infection) can vary widely in scope and severity from person to person. The bottom line here is that you had a risk and need to be tested.

Good luck!

Dr. Bob

Previous
Tales of the one eyed monster (Enhanced version)
Next
Why was I denied PEP?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.