Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Still scared, forgot to include e-mail
May 13, 2007

First let me tell you how great I think you are, I know you hear it all the time, but I think you are extraordinary. And I have sent another donation!! I wish you lived near me so I could come see you!! Ok, enough brown nosing :)

Here is my problem, I did write before regarding Home Access, but I am still reading conflicting info regarding the test. Some say Dr's test are more accurate??? And that there can be sample collection errors, but if sample collection errors are such a problem then why would the FDA approve such a test. But I don't understand that, if HA and the FDA and CDC concede that the test is as accurate as the Dr's test??? Anyway, I did sleep with a lot (more than 10, less than 30) of people from the time I was 17 thru college 22. The stupid things we will do when we are young! Maybe that can help with my risk factor. I have been with the same person for 4 years(yes, we have both been faithful). We have been married for 2 years. Here is what started my fear: I had dry mouth in late October (I had my wisdom teeth out 2 weeks before that started) My tongue feels strange, a little bit white in the back, no patches, I check my temperature everyday, I check for OHL, which looks so different in all its pictures (Doesn't everyone have slight grooves on the sides of their tongue) Yes, I make people show me their tongue!! Anyway, I went through 3 months of pure hell before I finally mustered up the courage to take a Home Test Access Test. I just don't think that I could go to a clinic and def. don't want to go to my DR. My sister helped, I had her call in for the results, it was NEGATIVE.I did tell my Dr.of my fear because I was so depressed when I went for my annual PAP, she said I would be showing symptoms, I had her test me for gonorrhea and Chlamydia (NEG), I had a normal PAP, but I do have HPV, my Dr. said that it isn't causing any problems and we would keep an eye on it, I also had an ultrasound, Trans-V and normal, with no sign of infection. I am just trying to give you as much info as possible.

I was great for about a month after my neg. test, I am typically a VERY happy person, seriously, you would love me LOL!! Now, I am stressed about this again because, I have these white lines on the inside of my lips, they don't really hurt, they are just there. A co-worker who was an LPN, said they are canker sores, but I thought canker sores were round and they normally hurt. I also have a mole like thing on the side of my breast,(stupid word, sounds like a piece of chicken) it is slightly raised it isn't very big and feels a little scaly. About 2 others have popped up as well. And I went on vacation to Dominican Republic and I sat back against a tree (ouch) and got scratches on my back, they were red at first, and then turned dark brown, I was in the sun all week. They have continously fading, but still there. That happened in March. I am not sure if it is caused by hyperpigmintation, I am on the Pill and I know that can cause it.

I NEVER get sick, I can't remember the last time i had a fever or even a cold. It was a very long time ago. I had some sinus problems this past winter, and what I think are allergies right now, post nasal drip, ear stuffiness and itchy nose but I am not sure. My sister thinks I am crazy as do all of my friends. I called Home Access and they said that in the 15 years they have been testing, they have never had a false negative or a false positive. I am sorry this e-mail is so scatterbrained!! I guess my final question is, Do I need further testing?? I would like to begin trying to have a baby, but I am so scared that I will go in for my prenatal testing and they will find something :( I really want my life back!! I am thinking about taking another HA test next week. Thank you, I will post no more questions after this

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

Home Access tests are extremely reliable. They use a double EIA (enzyme immunoassay) technique with a confirmatory IFA (immunofluorescence assay). Sensitivity and specificity approach 100%.

Your "symptoms" are neither consistent with nor worrisome for HIV. Your negative Home Access test is definitive and conclusive. Your fears are irrational and unwarranted. Before even considering getting pregnant, I would suggest you seek help for your anxiety and irrational fear problems. Counseling could help. HIV is not your problem. No way. No how. However, I do think you have a significant problem with anxiety and irrational fears that needs be addressed.

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Previous
I need a shrink...right?
Next
t-cell count over 1700.

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.