Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

HIV Transmission though burnt skin?
May 12, 2007

I have I question that is probably silly. I am a highschool teacher and a student of mine had an uncovered, relatively severe burn on his arm. While it wasn't over a large area, the burn was severe enough that a portion of the skin was bright pink (the student is an African American)and some was lightly scabbed over. I believe I may have accidently touched the open wound with the tip of my finger for no more than a second. Both the burn and my finger tip appeared to be dry, but I am not 100% sure there was no moisture. I had no cuts on my finger, but is it possible that if the student is HIV positive, the virus could have gotten under my finger nail? I also may have touched my eye a few minutes later. Please answer. I suffer from anxiety attacks, and fears like this, no matter how irrational can make me miserable. Thanks in advance and a donation will be on the way for all of the people whose fears you relieve.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

Your HIV risk is nonexistent and it's a damn good thing, because if HIV were that easily transmissible, it would have wiped out the whole planet long ago.

Your anxiety attacks and "fears like this" must be uncomfortable and difficult to endure. Have you considered seeking professional help for this problem? Counseling and certain medications can be remarkably effective.

Thanks for your tax-deductible donation to The Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation (www.concertedeffort.org).

Be well. Stay well. Remember HIV is not your problem. Testing is not warranted.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Symptoms? I had em all.. Hope after all..
Next
I really respect your opinion and am powerfully anxious!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.