Symptoms? I had em all.. Hope after all..

Hey Dr Bob,

First off I'd like to say WooooHOOOOO on my behalf.

I'm a female in my 20's while doing some school work for my Concepts of Health class I came across a webiste that listed all the symptoms of initial actute HIV infection, as I set there reading each of the symptoms I was reminded of a time not so long ago 3 years infact, against my better judgement I got very drunk and passed out on a friends couch long story short I was taken advantage of and ended up loosing my virginity to a man whom I barely new. About 2 weeks after this expereience I got really sick and came down with flu like symptoms, wasnt able to eat, developed a hive like rash on my abdomen, had oral thrush, I could barely urinate because of the pain. Naturally I went to the dr, being as young as I was and already tramatized by my expreience I didnt tell my dr anything just went in for a "normal" checkup, well low and behold I had genital herpes as well as hpv. I don't think I was ever tested for hiv I didnt know the symptoms to look out for and part of me was in denial. Years passed and I was able to get on with my life and past that terrible ordeal until a couple of weeks ago when I read that dreaded article that listed off the symptoms. At first I was scared and decided not to be tested, I wasnt thinking rationally of course and in my mind I knew I would drive myself crazy until I found out. Well I opted to take the anonymous home access test and low and behold my results came back negative today!!! I can honestly say the waiting was the worst week of mylife, I kept going through scenario after scenario dreading what I thought would be my hiv diagnosis, and today after lots of tears and prayers I'm able to lay those thoughts aside. To those of you out there to afraid to get tested I urge you to quit living in fear and take the test, It was the scariest thing Ive ever been through but im glad I did it!

P.S. I plan on getting "one" more test at the health department just to make this official, but since it's been 3 years I feel pretty darn confident.

Thank you Dr. Bob for giving all of us scared folks on the verge of driving ourselves insane some hope!

Thanks for taking the time to write in and share your story. I find it surprising and all too common that you could be evaluated by a doctor and found to have multiple STDs (HPV and genital herpes) and yet the subject of HIV was never even brought up! That is incompetent medical care in my opinion. Luckily HIV turned out not to be your problem! WOO-HOO!

Stay safe. Stay well.

Massage Manhandler
HIV Transmission though burnt skin?