|Can you explain why?
May 11, 2007
Why are there disclaimers on all HIV test kits? Can you explain?
"The AMPLICOR HIV-1 MONITOR [Viral Load] test is not intended to be used as a screening test for HIV or as a diagnostic test to confirm the presence of HIV infection,"
"Do not use this kit as the sole basis of diagnosis of HIV-1 infection" (Abbott Laboratories HIV Test, Roche Viral Load Test and Epitope, Inc. Western Blot Test,
Positive test results can occur due to "prior pregnancy, blood transfusions...and other potential nonspecific reactions" (Vironostika HIV Test, 2003).
| Response from Dr. Frascino
There are disclaimers on HIV test kits because these tests have limitations. I'll quickly run through the ones you list.
1. The Amplicor HIV-1 Monitor is a viral load test. As I have frequently noted in this forum, viral load tests are not recommended for HIV diagnostic screening because of the rate of false-positive results. The disclaimer just corroborates this recommendation. Viral load tests are not diagnostic tests to confirm or rule out the presence of HIV infection!
2. The Abbott HIV test is an antibody test. It should not "solely" be used to diagnose HIV infection because all screening antibody tests require a confirmatory, more sensitive test, such as a Western Blot before a diagnosis of HIV positive can be made.
3. The Roche viral load test. See #1 above.
4. The Western Blot test should not be used as the sole basis for diagnosis of HIV-1 infection because it is used only as a confirmatory test and requires an initial positive HIV ELISA test.
5. The Vironostika HIV test, like all HIV antibody tests, can have false-positive results due to a variety of causes, including the ones listed.
You can read more about HIV tests and their limitations in the archives. The disclaimers as stated are accurate.
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Fever After Performing Oral Sex Worried I Have HIV
- Groin Pain After Condom Leak Worried I Have HIV
- Pain In Balls After Anal Sex Sign Of HIV AIDS
- Purple Spots After Vaginal Sex With Condom Does It Mean I Have HIV
- Sore On Penis After Oral Sex Hooker What Are The Chances Of HIV
- Causes Of Vaginal Cysts
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.