Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 

Could you have been wrong?

Doc,

I'm begging you to answer this, and i hope this post will be of interest to you.

You've helped me before regarding the erythematous candidiasis which has been on my palate for almost a full year - you advised me to see another specialist to determine a cause but again i've hit the proverbial brick wall - he diagnosed a fungal infection but no cause.

On other peoples posts you say oral thrush can be caused by anti-biotics, diabetes etc, but none of this applies to me and blood tests can find no cause.

Since i tested negative several times up to 6 months post exposure, i can't even get tested again on the NHS without lying about the date of my exposure...i can't believe that oral thrush in the mouth for a year, which responds to anti-fungal lozenges but never completely resolves and then grows back, can be anything other than HIV!

Is it possible that this candidiasis occurred just after seroconversion - would you expect it to have cleared up if this was the case or not?

I can't understand why the HIV tests came back negative since there can't really be any other cause according to you and the old oral health expert Dr Rezniks posts in the archives.

Please help me one last time i'm so frustrated and fearful and need to know the chances that i'm walking around with undiagnosed HIV.

"I can't understand why the HIV tests come back negative since there can't really be any other cause according to you. . . ." WHOA!!! I never said or implied anything of the kind! Whether you even have "erythematous candidiasis" or some other condition that resembles it, I have no way of determining over the Internet. Even if you did have erythematous candidiasis and it is not related to antibiotics or diabetes, that does not mean automatically you must have HIV! Frevinsakes!

Your HIV tests have been negative out to six months. They are definitive and conclusive. HIV is not your problem. No way. No how. No further HIV tests are warranted! That you are still focusing on or chasing after an HIV diagnosis, despite overwhelming and incontrovertible evidence that you are HIV negative, suggests you have a psychological problem related to irrational fear of HIV.

If the two physicians you have seen so far were concerned about your condition or felt you had an underlying problem, I'm confident they would have conducted further evaluations or sent you for an additional consultation. If you are not satisfied with the explanations (or lack thereof) that they provided, I would suggest you go to a medical center, hopefully university teaching hospital/medical school, for an evaluation. These centers act as tertiary referral centers and should be able to diagnose your condition and recommend a treatment plan if necessary. I would assume that plan would include psychological counseling to help you confront and conquer your HIV fears as well as help you accept the fact you are HIV negative.

Are you walking around with undiagnosed HIV? The short answer is No! The long answer is Nope!

Tired
HIV-2