Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

"the blood pool" workplace HIV exposure
May 10, 2007

Hi Doc, you are truly the best. Keep up the great work.

I keep trying to convince a friend that their exposure risk was zero, maybe he will listen to you. He has fallen into a depression because of this, and is terrified of HIV. This happened two months ago.

Here is the story. He works at a restaurant where they keep a pool of soapy water where they rinse washcloths in order to wipe the tables. One of the cooks suffered a cut on his hand, and although not witnessed, my friend thinks that he might have rinsed it in the pool. My friend then proceeded (unknowingly) to rinse a few washcloths in that pool and wipe some tables. He had a day old closed cut on his finger. How would you rate the exposure risk?

You helped me in the past to get over unncessary worrying, maybe you can help him as well.

Thanks so much

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

Your friend's HIV risk is nonexistent. If he remains worried, let alone terrified and depressed, he should get an HIV rapid test at the three-month mark. The results will undoubtedly be negative. However, this may be the most efficient and effective means for him to put his unwarranted and irrational worries permanently to rest. During the next four weeks, while he's waiting for his three-month window period to be up, I suggest he study the information on this site, in its archives and on its related links. He should find the information here both enlightening and encouraging.

Dr. Bob

Previous
""squirty Seaman"" please help (CAN YOU GIVE YOURSELF HIV/AIDS?)
Next
High rate of false positives, cost, etc.

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.