Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Exposure to blood
May 9, 2007

Hello, I was exposed to I say 10ml of blood of an HIV person. But there viral load a month prior to my exposure was 45 copies.. And T cell was 500. So basically it be safe to say he is undetectable? This blood came in contact internally(anus) with me. I took an HIV RNA-Qual. appx 5 days after exposure. It is undectable. And The ELISA of course was neg. (course too early for that to show +) But what are the chances of being infected. It is day 12 now. I do have a sore throat and some lymph. pain in my neck and breast area and under arm. Headache and fatigue. However, NO fever or rash. So do you think I am - ?

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

You were exposed to 10 ml of HIV-infected blood "internally (anus)"???? I'm curious to know how that happened. On second thought, maybe I don't really want to know.

Even with a CD4 count of 500 and plasma viral load of 45 copies, this would still be considered a very significant HIV exposure. I would have recommended PEP (post-exposure prophylaxis) as soon as possible (up to 72 hours) after such an exposure.

Your HIV RNA qualitative and ELISA at five days are encouraging, but not conclusive. You will need an ELISA at the three-month mark and, if negative, a repeat ELISA at six months to confirm your negative status.

What do I think about your chances? Unfortunately I do not have an infallible crystal ball and therefore have no way of knowing. What I can say is that your exposure was significant and testing is definitely warranted.

Good luck!

Dr. Bob

Previous
don't you get tired??
Next
A Risk of 3 hours before!!!!! Please Help!!!!!!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.