Am I being stupid?

Dr. Bob,

An escort came to my home while my wife was away. We had protected sex in the bathtub. After she left I started to worry that if she had HIV it could have gotten on the bathtub surface or faucet so I've been scubbing them with bleach and disinfectant. But I'm still worried and now I don't want my wife to use the bathtub. Am I being stupid. Am I the only one who has even been this crazy over such a thing??? Jasper

No, as a matter of fact, you aren't. There have been others. (See below.)

Am I being stupid?? Jun 22, 2006

Dear Dr, I recently had sex with a prostitute which I used protection. After the experience I became very paranoid about whether the condom had burst or other scenarios of whether i had caught HIV. After 4 days I actually when back to the spot which we had sex and found the condom I had used. I put the condom in a plastic bag and toke it home to see if it burst or not. After testing it by pouring water in the condom it turned out that it had not burst and there could not have been any risks. However the condom came in contact with the sink and the taps. I cleaned them with soap and bleach but i am afraid that if the prostitute was infected with HIV, the outside of the condom would have still contained the virus. If so, could someone contract the virus by touching these contaminated parts or drinking the water from hand after touching these parts? Thankyou.

OK, so you had a nookie with a pro and used protection. That's very responsible and logical and safe. Next, you became "very paranoid" about "scenarios", whereby you may have been infected by HIV. That's not so logical. So then after four days you actually went back to the spot where you shagged the Sheila and found the condom you had spunked into??? WHAT??? Dude, most of us have trouble finding our car keys when they are right under our noses, and you were able to track down a four-day-old rubber filled with baby batter? Damn! You're good. Do you work for Scotland Yard? Any chance we can hire you to find Osama? OK, never mind.

So you took your little treasure home and played water balloon until your irrational fears subsided and then went all Mommie Dearest on the sink and taps, scrubbing them mercilessly with soap and bleach. OK fine. Totally unnecessary, but fine. So now you are wondering if someone might contract HIV from drinking water from your bleached taps. Dude, be reasonable. Oh, OK, I guess we already determined that's not exactly your strong suit. But at least be rational. Just how infectious do you think HIV is? If there was any real risk form what you described, HIV would have wiped out the planet years ago.

I suggest you spend some time reviewing the information on this site, related links and in the archives, paying particular attention to how HIV is and is not transmitted. And due to the rather impressive degree of irrational HIV fear your recent activities suggest, I would recommend you consider some psychological counseling.

Good luck!

I'm feeling a blue conversion coming on...
anxiety is running my life!!!donation on the way!!!