Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Just made a Donation part 2
May 8, 2007

Dear Dr. Bob,

Thank you for answering my previous post a few months ago. It was much appreciated!

That previous post was called "Just made a Donation" (1/9/2007) and it was regarding unprotected vaginal sex.

I just received a negative HIV 1/2 Elisa test (4/4/2007). This test would put me at 1 year and 3 days post exposure.

I know you're most likely going to say that HIV is not my problem, no way, no how. The reason I'm asking you another question is that my symptoms that I mentioned in that previous post (angular cheilitis, aphthous ulcers, OHL lesions on sides of tongue, chronic dry mouth, and PN mostly in my right foot continually) are still with me to this day. One year after my exposure I suffer from these symptoms everyday! I'm still somewhat concerned and worried.

Could I be one of those rare individuals who either don't produce HIV antibodies at all or am I a super-late seroconverter?

Other symptoms that have hit me (but are gone now) are a couple bouts of extreme diarhea (lasted about a week each time) and a couple of times getting flu-like symptoms (night sweats and fever, etc...).

So with all of these symptoms that don't go away what do you think I should do? Take a PCR test? Should I be worried at all?

Thanks again for all of the work you do. You are such a life saver and comfort to many. May you live long and stay healthy and happy.

Sincerely, High Anxiety in L.A.

P.S. Tested for Hep A,B,C at the same time of my HIV test. Hep A and C negative. Hep B core antibody positive, surface antigen negative. My doctor wanted me to take another test 'cause she thought it might be a false positive. Upon subsequent testing I was told that I had a remote (past) infection with Hep B that my immune system has overcome. Test results show no evidence of current infection with Hep B. That's basically what the letter said that was sent to me. Just more info for you to mull over.

P.P.S. As the title of the post says, another donation has been sent to your foundation. Wish it could be more.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello High Anxiety in L.A.,

Yep! You are absolutely spot on! I am indeed going to say HIV is not your problem. No Way. No how. So are you ready? OK, here it comes: HIV IS NOT YOUR PROBLEM! NO WAY. NO HOW!

No, you are not a "super-late seroconverter" nor do you have any indications of being antibody deficient. Your repeatedly negative HIV tests out to one year are definitive and conclusive. You just can't get any more HIV negative than that!

I cannot diagnose the cause of your symptoms over the Internet. What I can do with great certainty is advise you what's not causing them: it's not HIV! If no physical cause can be found for your symptoms, there's a good chance your "High Anxiety" could be a significant underlying contributing factor. I urge you to seek psychological help in accepting the undeniable reality that you are HIV negative.

Thanks for your donation.

Dr. Bob

Previous
thanx
Next
Isn't this safe?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.