Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

What to get pregnant.
May 5, 2007

Hello Dr. Bob,

I'm Positive and my husband is negative. We desperately want to get pregnant and have a family. I know from reading your forum that there are some medical techniques that decrease that risk for magnet couples but I strongly doubt we have those here and we wouldn't be able to afford them even if we did. We plan to try getting pregnant anyway. Any advice or encouragement? Thanks,

Magnetic Mommie-wanna-be.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

Yes, I do understand your dilemma. We know that the use of antiretroviral agents has reduced the risk of mother-to-child transmission to less than 2%, but HIV-positive individuals can potentially transmit the virus to an HIV-negative partner while trying to conceive. The assisted reproduction methods you refer to, including artificial insemination, in vitro fertilization and sperm washing techniques, can indeed further reduce the risk of sexual transmission. However, these techniques are cumbersome, expensive and not widely available in many parts of the world.

I can give you some encouraging news from a recent Spanish study. They reviewed the medical records of 62 HIV magnetic couples who achieved natural pregnancies without medical assistance. There were 22 couples in which the woman was HIV-positive and 40 couples in which the man was positive. Importantly, at the time of conception, all of the HIV-positive partners were receiving HAART and had undetectable plasma viral loads. In addition, all the HIV-positive women maintained undetectable HIV RNAs during their pregnancies and at the time of delivery. Overall, 76 natural pregnancies occurred and 68 children were born. There were no recorded cases of HIV seroconversion in any of the uninfected partners. One woman did transmit HIV to her baby despite prophylactic therapy. This study suggests that magnetic couples with undetectable viral loads on HAART have a relatively minimal risk of sexual transmission. I must point out this is a relatively small study and does not prove there is no risk. It merely gives us some idea that the risk under these circumstances may well be less than many of us had feared. If assisted reproductive methods are not available to you (due to cost or location), I strongly urge you to:

1. Make sure your plasma viral load is undetectable and remains undetectable throughout your pregnancy. An HIV-knowledgeable obstetrician can advise you as the safest HAART regimens. Some drugs, such as Sustiva, need to be avoided during pregnancy.

2. Restrict your unprotected intercourse to the fertile days of your menstrual cycle to minimize the risk of sexual transmission while maximizing the odds of pregnancy.

Good luck!

Dr. Bob

Previous
Is sock-sex sangerous?
Next
What exactly causes a panic attack???

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.