Recent HIV scare

Hi Dr., I'm very thankful for you having this answer/question forum for the public! I am a gay male and slept with an HIV positive male almost 4 weeks ago. About a month ago before the encounter I had an HIV/Syphillis/Clymidia test that all returned negative. My HIV positive sexual encounter was protected with a condom with him as the top for a little. He then removed the condom and there was a "slip" for a brief sec in and out. There was no sexual movement, just a slip not all the way in. I am just a little concerned about the possible risk for HIV transmission for that brief moment. I didn't notice if there was pre cum or not. So far I've had no symptoms and feel fine. I know this person was on HIV meds so I'm not sure if that could lower my risk for transmission. I'm really not sure what my chances are but I feel that I would test positive. This was the best learning experience for me being only 23. What are your feelings about this? Thanks a lot and I would really like to support your endeavors! Sincerely, Mike

Hello Mike,

So, you are wondering if the brief "slip" in was a major slipup. Well, unprotected anal insertion does constitute some degree of risk. That it was "for a brief sec in and out" may mitigate the risk, but it does not completely eliminate it.

I'm glad this experience is serving as a wakeup call regarding the absolute need to practice safe sex at all times. My advice is to get an HIV test at the three-month mark. The statistical odds are all in your favor that you did not contract HIV from the brief slipup or slip-in or whatever. However, you'll need an HIV test to confirm your negative status.

I was taught abstinence only along w/all my friends!
LOVE is great... so is the show.