Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

I was taught abstinence only along w/all my friends!
May 5, 2007

I read the Miss waiting and I think it is great for HER if that's what she thinks is right! BUT,seeing as I was raised on abstinence only education as well as all my friends(not one waited) and ended up on this website 10yrs later shows how effective it is to teach our children this way. I am still for abstinence , for my kids but I am going to make sure they know EVERYTHING including safe sex. And if they can wait till marriage then great! But if not then at least I know that I have given them the information they need to keep themselves off websites like this in a panic later on in their lives!!! PLEASE people it's not fair to our kids to not tell them the whole truth . If you don't as they get older the consequences could be very bad for them not only hiv but all the other stds that are a pain in the but to deal with!! I tested neg(thank goodness) after 10yrs of worry and uneducation. And now it's my turn to make sure this doesn't happen to my kids.Just a small way we as parents can pay it forward for generations to come. love, a republican that knows conservative is not always right.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello Republican That Knows Conservative Is Not Always Right!

Thanks for writing in and sharing your story and insight! You made my day!!! I totally agree abstinence-only sexual education has been proven over and over again to be ineffective and in many ways potentially harmful. "Abstinence-plus" (teaching abstinence plus information about contraception and prevention methods to avoid STDs and unwanted pregnancies) is definitely the way to go. Unfortunately, our dimwitted leader, King George the W, continues to ignore science and reality in this as well as essentially every other aspect of modern life evolution, global warming, the Iraq disaster, etc., etc., etc.

I hope other parents will follow your lead. Teach our kids what they need to know. Demand science- based factual age-appropriate sex education in our schools.

Finally, just as you've discovered problems with the neocons' abstinence-only myth, I urge you to reconsider other aspects where conservatives are not right. Perhaps you'll become an enlightened born again Democrat!

Dr. Bob

Previous
Tormented ..Please help
Next
Recent HIV scare

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.