Infection via broken skin: episode 2

Dear Dr Bob,

Here is Broken Skin and Heart from Singapore once again. You replied to my mail on Feb 9 2005 ( Infection via broken skin), can you still remember me?

I am in the same desperate situation and I feel ashamed writing to you seeking help again. After the last episode, I did not go astray until four months ago and in a span of 4 weeks, I visited two massage parlour in China. I was given full body massage, intense rimming and foot sucking, and in one instance, my ass was inserted with a sex toy covered with a condom. The masseuses also performed protected oral sex on me. Both masseuses showed me their latest health certificate issued by local health control agency. In China, people working in the trade are required to undergo monthly medical examination.

I was very mindful not to infect my wife even though I felt my risk was not high. I planned to have a test after the window period. My sex with my wife is always protected right from beginning. Three weeks ago I started to loosen my guard and started to have intense kissing with my wife and we also did rim each other during our sex.

The horror struck last Wednesday (25 April 2007) when my wife began to have all the symptoms of ARS: she has high grade fever (consistently above 39 degree and even exceeded 40.2 on 27 April 2007) and it is still continuing now, diarrhoea, headache, stomach pain etc. I sent her to hospital last night and was told that she is down with a viral infection!

I am extremely worried and guilty that I may have already caught the virus and passed it to her! I am hesitant to take my test now knowing what the outcome would be! Your advice, please !!!

Broken skin and heart

Hello Broken Skin and Heart,

Your HIV risk is negligible at best. Your fears are unwarranted. Your wife may have a viral infection, but the chances that infection is HIV are essentially nonexistent.

My advice is that you level with your wife. It's the best way to confront your guilt and it's the right thing to do. Get an HIV test at the three-month mark to put any residual fears permanently to rest. The results will undoubtedly be negative.

Is it true
You wrong, wrong, wrong