What's up Doc

Have a question regarding STD's and Hiv that has me worried.

A lot of the data (both on your archives and other places) talks about the increased risk of HIV transmission when there are other STD's. Is the specific issue whether there are sores or things like that versus some more complex problem?

I'm asking because I have herpes, but have not had sores or flare ups in literally years (at least, that I can tell).

I always practice safe sex (no condom slippage, though there could always be a microscopic tear I suppose) and could have been exposed to someone who is HIV positive. I know that you can't guarantee any particular outcome, but am I being stupid?

I've looked through all archives, can't find anything on this. Apologize if you've addressed this elsewhere, and will of course keep up my supoort of your foundation.

Thanks for any help.

The issues with concurrent STDs include (1) active sores and blisters, which can allow HIV easy access and (2) the increased presence of white blood cells at the site of STD inflammation, which can facilitate HIV uptake and entry.

If you continue to practice safer sex with proper use of latex condoms, your HIV risk will remain minimal at best.

Stay safe and you'll stay well.

Thanks for your funny reply about our stupid PM!
Is it true