Thanks for your funny reply about our stupid PM!

Firstly I'd like to thank you for your reply to the person who thinks our PM is making sense when it comes to "border security" on the issue of HIV pos people. Well put Dr, thank goodness we didn't have this dinosaur when the epidemic first reared it's ugly head in Australia! I was diagnosed in 1986 and have been on meds since 1994 with some fairly horrendous side effects, Peripheral Neuropathy being the worst. My CD4's are 420 and VL is "undetectable" and has been for 8 years only going over 50 once, to a high of 65! I cannot find an answer to a question I have (I know this isn't really the category for this question but I had to tell you that the response about howard had me laughing!), that being how to reverse my steadily declining weight. I eat fairly well and smoke the odd bit of Mull(green, smoked illegally) to help with appitite but nothing is helping. I am 44, 1.79m, and sadly only weigh 54kgs (my ideal weight being about 74kgs), a decline of 7kgs in the past 3 months! I am taking DHEA, a very expensive drug not covered by our PBS scheme to help and I'm on Kaletra, Abacavir and Nevirapine. I also have been going to the gym for the past year to help bulk up, but have had some issues such as the 'flu, Diarrhea and nausea recently. Can you suggest anything more than I'm doing it is driving me mad as my partner keeps pointing out my "thin" looking body and nothing appears to help! Is this a result of living longterm with HIV or not? Thanks for your time and again your response about howard and his backward thinking policies was a gem, hopefully the Aussie electorate will finally see through his very long list of lies he has told since 1996!

How to reverse your steadily declining weight? Hmmm . . . have you tried vegemite? OK, kidding aside, significant and continued weight loss in conjunction with chronic HIV disease can be a significant problem. Have you discussed the problem with your HIV specialist? There are several common potential underlying conditions that could be responsible, including (1) unrecognized opportunistic infections, (2) hormonal imbalances, particularly low testosterone and (3) inadequate nutrition and/or absorption problems.

You report recent bouts of "flu, diarrhea, and nausea." These may well be contributing to your weight loss problem and should also be evaluated by your HIV specialist.

Treatment should be directed at correcting any underlying conditions contributing to your weight loss problem. Evaluation by an HIV-knowledgeable nutritionist may help optimize your diet. Anabolic steroids, such as Oxandrin, may help build lean body mass more effectively than DHEA. You should also be evaluated for hypogonadism (off DHEA) and treated with supplemental testosterone if needed. Marinol could be considered as an appetite stimulant and to help nausea. Continue your gym workouts and increase your food intake by having more frequent meals and high quality snacks, such as protein shakes, during the day.

Good luck! Let's hope both of our truth-challenged dimwitted leaders (and I use the term loosely) will soon be deposed from their thrones.

HOORAH for the Australian Prime Minister! Apr 22, 2007

Dr. Bob,

I read that the Australian Prime Minister is seriously thinking of the possibility of being stricter on allowing hiv positive immigrants entering his country. Why doesn't America wake up and do the same? and no, he is not a born again christian before that gets the blame for his logical thinking.

Logical thinking??? Not only is it illogical, it's also unscientific and, in my opinion, immoral and shameful.

I have to wonder why someone who holds your draconian views on HIV control and prevention is visiting this forum, which clearly does not share your unscientific, discriminatory and unconscionable viewpoint. Could it be you found yourself on bended knee for something other than genuflection? Or perhaps you're just doing research.

As for the Australian Prime Minister, John Howard, his reactionary, unscientific and idiotic opinions and policies on everything from gay rights to the Iraq War are nearly as enlightened as his counterpart here in the States, "King George the W." That in and of itself speaks volumes about Howard's intellect and morality.

Response to Miss Waiting
What's up Doc