All the symptoms in the net, but now... woooo hoooo !!!

Dear Dr. and WW's,

Three months ago I had a risky sexual intercourse: I did oral sex without protection (for a couple of minutes, without ejaculation) to a man who doesnt believe in HIV (stupid him, more stupid me) that after that penetrated me using condom (which did not break and he did not ejaculate); Nevertheless there were some previous contacts between his fingers, his saliva and my anus.

Four days later I began with symptoms of flu (fever, shivers), then I had an intense sensation of burning in almost the whole body, I realized that they were symptoms of a probable infection for HIV and I got scared. I went to the doctor immediately, they did me many analyses that were indicating some type of viral infection (slightly simple, according to the doctor), for the rest he found me healthy enough. Also he did me an Elisa test to verify if I did not have an previous infection, the result was negative.

I began to check the Internet and verified that in the following two or three weeks I was developing practically all the symptoms of infection for HIV, some before and others after finding them in the net: Inflammation of lymphatic ganglions, specially throat and under the arms, white thumb and gums (candid albicans diagnosed), night sweating, pain of joints and muscles, loss of weight and muscular mass (specially in arms and legs), excess of fat in the skin of the face, dandruff, fungi in the feet, fragile skin of hands, flatulence, excessive weariness, I mean ALL the symptoms except cough and diarrhea.

Nevertheless, two doctors told me that they think slightly probable that it is a HIV infection and rather they believed that it was some type of respiratory virus, besides my terrible condition of nerves and depression. My life was a hell until I did the second test at 8 and a half weeks, that also was negative. This calmed me very much and my doctor told me that I should forget the matter since it is a last generation test (AB and AG p24 Combo Abbot); nevertheless, I knew that I had to wait to the three months mark to have reliable results, and more considering all the symptoms that I developed.

Then I had what I imagine it is a neuropathy (sensation of burning or pricks in the feet, legs, hands and arms), weakness in the legs that besides slimmed very much, I continue sweating in the nights, my whole body was itching me and in general I felt like beat.

My doctor insists that it is some other virus and that my stress did the rest, says that there are too many symptoms as to think seriously about HIV, but I dont know what to think, I mean, I do not believe that other virus and my mind are capable to do all of these.

Anyway, today I got my three month test, and is NEGATIVE !!! Thanks God !! so, although I'm still feeling weak, I'm decided to quit this and start leaving my life again.

What do you think, Dr. Bob? considering my symtoms and level of risk, should I been re-tested at 6 months? (just in case?)

What do I think? Well, for one thing I think your buddy who doesn't "believe" in HIV is an idiot. Next, your HIV risk from the activities you describe is extremely low. Next, symptoms you developed "after finding them on the net" are most likely psychosomatic. As for symptoms induced by anxiety, depression and irrational fears, the list is remarkably impressive. Just take a read through the archives and you'll see what I mean. Next, I would consider your three-month negative test definitive. No further HIV testing is warranted or recommended. However, if you want a six-month test, that option is always open to you. The results will undoubtedly be negative.

Finally, I would suggest you start "living" your life again, rather than "leaving" it. Stop worrying about a disease you don't have!

Bango String
Taipei Hostess and me being Weak