Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Small Donation, Endless thanky yous
Apr 26, 2007

Hello Robert, I am relatively new to thebody.com but I have come to realize that thanks to people like you, this world has still hope to become a better place to live. I posted a question and didn't receive an answer, but I can not imagine (And I understand) how busy you are. I am sending a check for $ 50 and promise to contribute more in the future. I had a sexual contact with a prostitute in Mexico. We had intercourse with a Condom that I ended taking off after 5 minutes or something,I had too much to drink and could not eyaculate that way. After taking the condom off I did not penetrate her again, instead I masturbate. My main concern is that in the beggining of the foreplay she permormed Oral sex for about 10 or 15 seconds and said she didn' like to do it. After 3 weeks (End of March) I started to have an scratchy throat and some dry cough that has lasted for about a month now. No swollen lymph nodes, no fever, no Diarrea, but I have joint pain and sometimes at night my upper body feels numb.Since I came back, I have had 5 times sex with my wife always with a condom, but she has developed a Rash (she had it in the past once) has had sleep disturbance and hot flashes for several nights, also she has been very tired.I am really confused... Could you please briefly give me your invaluable advice?? I got an Home Access HIV test at 5 weeks and at 8 weeks and both were negative... Is it possible that in the last month I could become positive?? Please, let me know what you think.. Thanks a million S.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello S,

Your HIV risk is negligible at best. Assuming the latex condom was used properly and did not break, the HIV risk associated with your protected intercourse would be essentially nonexistent. Insertive oral sex carries an extremely minimal risk for HIV transmission and your exposure was very brief (10-15 seconds).

The symptoms you describe are not consistent with or worrisome for HIV acute retroviral syndrome (ARS).

Your negative Home Access tests at five and eight weeks are extremely encouraging; however, not conclusive. HIV-antibody tests taken prior to the three-month mark are not considered to be definitive. If you desire that level of confirmation of your HIV-negative status, you'll need to repeat your test at three months. The results will undoubtedly be negative.

Thanks for your kind comments and your donation (www.concertedeffort.org). In return, I'll send my best good-luck/good-health karma that your definitive three-month test remains negative, as I very strongly believe it will!

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Previous
got through a year in iraq and now im tryin to get through this.
Next
Serodiscordant Couple Research (CONDOMS)

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.