Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

possible infection?
Apr 23, 2007

I had sex with an uncircumcised male, whos hiv history is unknown. He has lied to me about the number of possible partners, which has double from 4 to 8 or more. We had intercourse 3 times, once in which i believe some semen did spill out of the condom and could have spilled down into the vaginal/anal area. The moment i tried to talk to him about this he said that he is clean and has been tested, but refuses to release the results to me. He did mention that once i am tested he would like me to inform him however, which is making me worry. I feel as if he is using me to see if he is infected as he is the only person in which i have ever slept with, and he was aware that i was a virgin at the time we had sex. He has since accused me of harassing him because i asked him to send me the results and has cut off any means of allowing me to contact him. I am unsure what to do, as i went to the STD clinic and got tested, but my results will not be back for another week. Legally they said that he has to release the information, as if i am infected i have to inform him and he has to inform all his past sexually partners. I'm nauseated, no appetite, coming down with a flu/cold, swollen eyes (which the doctors cannot explain why) and am experiencing extreme anxiety attacks and depression...What is the possibility that i could have contracted something, considering he is considered a "high risk" because of a) uncircumcised and b) his sexual history? thanks any response will help, I'm scared and worried beyond belief...

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

You think your partner is "high risk," because he's uncircumcised and has had eight partners in the past??? Hmmm . . . gosh, I shudder to think where you'd put me on your risk scale! You and your partner used condoms for the three episodes of sex; consequently, your HIV risk is negligible, even if you think once some semen may have spilled out of the condom and onto the vaginal/anal area. I have no doubt your "extreme anxiety attacks and depression" are causing many of your symptoms. You state your HIV results won't be back for another week. Two options come to mind. Talk to your doctor about getting some anti-anxiety medication and perhaps some counseling to help you cope during the wait. Alternatively you could get an HIV rapid test, assuming you are beyond your three-month window. Results are available within 20 minutes.

From what you've told me, the chances you did not contract HIV are astronomically in your favor. Your fears are way out of proportion to any degree of actual risk! Even if you do test negative, as I strongly suspect you will, counseling may well be indicated just to help you confront and cope with your irrational fears of HIV. For now, I suggest you review the information in the archives of this forum and on its related links, paying particular attention to HIV-transmission risks.

Don't be "scared and worried beyond belief." Just get informed!

Dr. Bob

Previous
Low T cell count
Next
first documented case from cut on hand and masterbation

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.