Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

THANKS A LOT DOC. BOB !!!
Apr 23, 2007

I wanna thank you a lot for your site, despite you couldn't answer my many mails , I know you are a busy man, the similar cases that I read , give me some assurance that I didn't contracted VIH , yesterday my 3 months Elisa test was negative(I had one other at 2 months of the exposure, it was also negative), my episode was condom protected, could I say WO-HOOO??

but this site along with the site of Dr. Handsfield gave 2 perspectives very alike about AIDS and its transmission and overall prevention, I also read that Merck is developing a new medicine called Mk518 (integrase inhibitor) that it sounds really promizing to fight against this terrible illness, I hope in few years there will be a cure and a vaccine,

For the moment

I will follow safe sex practices and I won't risk myself again for nothing.

I donate again cause I think my drop can do something in an ocean of necessity to save more lives and relieve the pain of others,

I 'll pray for you and the other sick people and GOD BLESS YOU

Eduardo from Mexico

PS fortunately no more Bush for the next year!!

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi Eduardo from Mexico,

Yes, your negative three-month ELISA following an episode of condom-protected sex is definitely WOO-HOOable!

I, too, have high hopes for several new drug therapies that should be available very soon integrase inhibitors and CCR5 antagonists. I'm also cautiously hopeful regarding a new vaccine strategy. (See below.)

Thank you for your donations. They are warmly appreciated. (www.concertedeffort.org)

Be well. Stay well, Eduardo.

Dr. Bob

New Developement Apr 22, 2007

Please what new developments are there as per drugs and treatment that might bring final solution in the near future. thanks.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

I've been accused (and rightfully so) of being the most optimistic person on the planet, but to think that there is a "final solution" (i.e. cure) in the "near future" is being overly optimistic, even for me! What I can do is briefly update you on what's coming next down the HIV/AIDS drug development pipeline, OK? In the mid-1990s HAART (highly active antiretroviral therapy) came into widespread use with the availability of potent new drugs, particularly protease inhibitors (PI's). PI's in combination with our reverse transcriptase inhibitor drugs (RTIs) dramatically decreased HIV/AIDS morbidity and mortality.

Now, after a decade, two new classes of anti-HIV drugs are hitting the market integrase inhibitors and CCR5 antagonists!

Integrase inhibitors stop the enzyme (integrase) that allows the virus into the host T-cell's DNA. If that process is stopped, then HIV can't replicate!

CCR5 antagonists block the co-receptor that is necessary for HIV to invade a cell. The good news is that these agents should be effective for folks who have developed resistance to the older drugs (PIs and RTIs). So far the side-effect profile for these new drugs has been mild, but we don't know if there will be any long-term toxicities.

Finally, I should mention a potential breakthrough in HIV vaccine development. One of the biggest roadblocks to an effective HIV vaccine has been the uncanny ability of HIV to constantly mutate, thereby making the vaccine less effective or even useless. Earlier this year, researchers at NIAID (National Institute for Allergy and Infectious Diseases) found a protein on HIV's surface that doesn't mutate. So theoretically we might be able to make a vaccine that stimulates antibodies against this protein, which, in theory at least, could neutralize the virus! Research is underway! Stay tuned to The Body. As always we'll keep you informed as the information evolves!

Dr. Bob

Previous
Thankyou
Next
NOT FREAKING OUT ANYMORE

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.