THANKS A LOT DOC. BOB !!!

I wanna thank you a lot for your site, despite you couldn't answer my many mails , I know you are a busy man, the similar cases that I read , give me some assurance that I didn't contracted VIH , yesterday my 3 months Elisa test was negative(I had one other at 2 months of the exposure, it was also negative), my episode was condom protected, could I say WO-HOOO??

but this site along with the site of Dr. Handsfield gave 2 perspectives very alike about AIDS and its transmission and overall prevention, I also read that Merck is developing a new medicine called Mk518 (integrase inhibitor) that it sounds really promizing to fight against this terrible illness, I hope in few years there will be a cure and a vaccine,

For the moment

I will follow safe sex practices and I won't risk myself again for nothing.

I donate again cause I think my drop can do something in an ocean of necessity to save more lives and relieve the pain of others,

I 'll pray for you and the other sick people and GOD BLESS YOU

Eduardo from Mexico

PS fortunately no more Bush for the next year!!

Hi Eduardo from Mexico,

Yes, your negative three-month ELISA following an episode of condom-protected sex is definitely WOO-HOOable!

I, too, have high hopes for several new drug therapies that should be available very soon integrase inhibitors and CCR5 antagonists. I'm also cautiously hopeful regarding a new vaccine strategy. (See below.)

Thank you for your donations. They are warmly appreciated. (www.concertedeffort.org)

Be well. Stay well, Eduardo.

New Developement Apr 22, 2007

Please what new developments are there as per drugs and treatment that might bring final solution in the near future. thanks.

I've been accused (and rightfully so) of being the most optimistic person on the planet, but to think that there is a "final solution" (i.e. cure) in the "near future" is being overly optimistic, even for me! What I can do is briefly update you on what's coming next down the HIV/AIDS drug development pipeline, OK? In the mid-1990s HAART (highly active antiretroviral therapy) came into widespread use with the availability of potent new drugs, particularly protease inhibitors (PI's). PI's in combination with our reverse transcriptase inhibitor drugs (RTIs) dramatically decreased HIV/AIDS morbidity and mortality.

Now, after a decade, two new classes of anti-HIV drugs are hitting the market integrase inhibitors and CCR5 antagonists!

Integrase inhibitors stop the enzyme (integrase) that allows the virus into the host T-cell's DNA. If that process is stopped, then HIV can't replicate!

CCR5 antagonists block the co-receptor that is necessary for HIV to invade a cell. The good news is that these agents should be effective for folks who have developed resistance to the older drugs (PIs and RTIs). So far the side-effect profile for these new drugs has been mild, but we don't know if there will be any long-term toxicities.

Finally, I should mention a potential breakthrough in HIV vaccine development. One of the biggest roadblocks to an effective HIV vaccine has been the uncanny ability of HIV to constantly mutate, thereby making the vaccine less effective or even useless. Earlier this year, researchers at NIAID (National Institute for Allergy and Infectious Diseases) found a protein on HIV's surface that doesn't mutate. So theoretically we might be able to make a vaccine that stimulates antibodies against this protein, which, in theory at least, could neutralize the virus! Research is underway! Stay tuned to The Body. As always we'll keep you informed as the information evolves!

Thankyou
NOT FREAKING OUT ANYMORE