HIV Ignorance of doctors

Dear Dr. Frascino: I was diagnosed with HIV on Sept. 6, 2006. VL was 326,000 and CD4 was 206. VL is undetectable and CD4 is 427 as of January this year. I take Kaletra and Truvada. I read with interest the posting from someone whose chiropractor was uncomfortable treating a person with HIV. My HIV specialist told me, sadly, many doctors are ignorant of how HIV works. I thought I would tell you of my experience. When I needed to replace my glasses recently, I chose a doctor from the list provided by my health insurance. I indicated on the patient form that I have HIV. The doctor told me that he has treated many people with HIV and knows what specific tests to perform for a person with HIV to be sure our eyes are in good shape. He said my eyes are fine, but that I needed new lenses. The old ones were 7 years old, so I figured that was reasonable. He said he wants to see me again in a year. There are doctors out there who aware of how HIV works, but maybe they are too few and far between. Thanks, Carl

Hi Carl,

Thanks for your comment.

I believe it's important for folks to realize that chiropractors are not medical doctors. (They haven't gone to medical school, even though they are called "doctors".) As such they may be, and in my opinion often are, not well trained in issues related to HIV/AIDS. In fact, I find no need for chiropractic care in the field of HIV medicine. Buyers beware!

condom pop
WILL DONATE PLEASE PLEASE ANSWER 5 TIME ASKING