Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

condom pop
Apr 23, 2007

Hello Dr Bob This is my 3rd attempt . As I informed earlier recently in India was with a call girl / Sex worker unknown status. During the intercourse I coul dmake out the condom pop andI immediately piulled it out and used a new one and continued. Now I am freaking out with guilt etc about the risk. Please comment on my situation of 3 - 4 sec of unprotected time.what are my risks. please answer me. This was my first ever thing outside my regular relationship with my wife. I promise that I will continue to donate for your org and others as well.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

Your question is identical to many others already posted in the archives and my advice remains exactly the same. The risk of HIV transmission following a condom failure (break) is the same as unprotected sex. See below.

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

condome broke Feb 21, 2007

dear dr Robert J. Frascino, i am a male 24 years old from lebanon,3 weeks ago i had an insertive vaginal sex with a syrian prostitute (from syria),firstly i used a condom and we had sex around 10 minutes ,i didnt finish ,she asked me to change the condom because we used it for a 10 minutes ,she puted for me a new condom by herself,and we started again to have vaginal sex,after 5 minutes she told me stop ,your condom broke, i stopped and looked on the condom ,it was broken,i didnt even finish.lets say that i had vaginal sex with her 5 minutes with condom broken,because i dont remember when it broked.quickly i went to the bath and i washed my penis in a good way and i urinated.i looked to my penis,and i saw that in the middle of it from the upside ,there was small redness area under a single hair(on the middle of the penis ,very small inflamed area under a single hair.now i am very scared and that maybe i catched hiv from this red area of skin under the single hair on the middle of my penis.is this possible?and this small red inflamed area will increase the risk?and what is the risk for me to catch hiv from her? the day after ,i looked on that area and it was normal at all without any redness. by the way , i asked the prostitute to do for me oral sex ,but she refused .please dr ,help me ,i am very scared.now it is the 3rd week and i dont have any symptom.should i have an hiv test?and when i should have it? please dr ,reply me as soon as possible. thanks a lot for your care and for your help.god bless you.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

The "small redness area under a single hair" is not a concern. However, five minutes of unprotected (broken-condom) insertive vaginal sex is! The estimated per-episode risk for acquiring HIV from unprotected (or broken-condom) insertive penile-vaginal sex with a partner confirmed to be HIV positive is 5 per 10,000 exposures. Your estimated risk would be less, as we do not know the HIV status of "Syrian prostitute from Syria." An HIV screening test is warranted at the three-month mark.

Good luck!

Dr. Bob

Previous
Not a Question
Next
HIV Ignorance of doctors

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.