Safe sex takent o an extreme? Do you think this is a bit much from my partner's doctor?

Hell Doctor,

My partner, who has been positive for a year now and not on meds (but has a med to high viral load), recently saw his doctor. His CD4 were quite good. But, get this, she told us that in addition to the condom I wear when we have anal sex (I always wear one - never in my life have went comando! and no breaks) he should wear a female condom. Huh? Don't you think that is a bit much? A condom and and female condom in him. I also mentioned oral sex on him and she said that was medium risk because precum contains the virus and would be a medium to high risk. I thought the risk was minimal considering I never take ejaculate in my mouth. We are confused, and really want to have sex, like right now, but Safe sex with just a condom.

What do you think? I am a bit perplexed to say the least.

Roger

Hi Roger,

"Hell" Dr.???? (No, that's not me. I no longer make house calls.)

Your doctor wants you to wear both a regular latex condom plus use a female condom in addition for anal sex? Hmmm . . . what's next, bulletproof vests? I, like you, believe this is unwarranted. Considering your doctor views oral sex as "medium risk," due to pre-cum, your doctor appears to have developed his or her own risk classification that would not be supported by most HIV specialists. I would suggest you consider finding a more reasonable HIV specialist, because the one you are seeing at present, while not exactly a Hell Doctor either, is also far from heaven sent.

Maybe add this to the QTND's category?
A belated WOOHOO!