BLOOD WORK/CBC

Dr. Bob,

Can you please clear up some questions about a CBC for me? I know that a CBC will not specifically detect the HIV virus. But if someone were showing signs of seroconversion, isn't it logical to think that a CBC would show some kind of imbalance in the white count? I ask this because, like everyone else, I am worrying about a possible HIV encounter with an unknown. My encounter was six weeks ago and I've had three CBCs and two HIV tests (all neg or normal). I will continue to get HIV tests until my 13-window is closed. Several areas where my lymph nodes are located feel tender, but not swollen. I can feel one in my neck that feels a little hard and one in my groin that feels a little hard as well. Again, they don't feel swollen, only tender (I may be doing this myself). No other symptoms (rash, fever, sore throat). What do you think about the CBC question? Thanks a million! I doubt a measly $10 donation will prompt you to pick my question (and a humble request for continued good Karma) but THANKS, you seem to be helping lots of people!

Dan

Hi Dan,

Another QTND (Question That Never Dies) and ATNC (Answer That Never Changes). CBCs cannot be used to rule in, rule out or even suggest HIV. Getting three CBCs and two HIV tests within six weeks of potential exposure is a total waste of time, blood and money. HIV-antibody tests are not considered to be definitive until the three-month mark.

I'll send my good-luck karma and also my strong advice that you hold off on any further CBCs or HIV-antibody tests until the three-month mark.

Burning Question
C'est fait!