Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

could I have it
Apr 15, 2007

I am a homosexual man. About a month ago, I had sex with somone, who got me into a bad situation. Firstly we engaged in oral sex. Then, before I knew it, he had sat on my penis. I do not engage in unprotected sex, but I had entered him and literally within five seconds, I had ejaculated inside him. He then wanted to penetrate me, and was funny when I suggested that he must use a condom, as I had come in him. Fortunately he did not do anything. meanwhile, he made sure to tell me that he was hiv negative. A few days ago, I was chatting online and someone was talking about him. They told me that they got hiv from him several months earlier, also through unprotected sex, but for him, he was the one being penetrated. I already have hsv-1 orally and genitally (which I got about a year ago). What are the chances that I have hiv. I have to wait 2 months to get a test. I had been told that there are tests that can be sooner and have read about them, but it seems it is not widely available in Australia, where I live. Should we also be contacting the relevant healt department to stop this guy from knowingly spreading hiv? I would be greatful for any information. Thanks.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi Aussie-Boy,

Before you knew it, he sat on your penis????? Hmmm . . . generally speaking, one would think one would notice a hottie going for a crotch-rocket ride, but OK, I'll believe you . . . . Millions wouldn't, but I will.

Your estimated per-act risk for acquiring HIV from unprotected insertive anal sex with a poz-buddy is 6.5 per 10,000 episodes. Your estimated risk would be less, because we do not know the HIV status of your stud muffin, despite what you heard chatting online. You really can't believe everything you learn online. For instance, I read online that Dubya wanted to fix Social Security. Little did I know his plan was more fix like you fix your dog than fix like you fix a problem.

So what do you do now? Well, no doubt unprotected sex puts you at some degree of risk for STDs, including HIV. To get an accurate, definitive and conclusive HIV test result, you'll have to wait until the three-month mark. The other tests you read about are most likely PCR (viral load) tests. These are not recommended for routine HIV screening, due to the rate of false-positives, technical considerations and cost.

Finally, regarding contacting the health department, at this point the only evidence you have is hearsay from the Internet; consequently, I don't think it would be helpful. If your Internet buddy is convinced he contracted HIV from this guy, then he could volunteer that information to the health department for follow-up.

Good luck!

Dr. Bob

Previous
need repsonse ASAP
Next
No gold teeth or jewelry, will paypal do?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.