A little Prick!

Hello Dr.

First I what to say I'm sorry for your loss, and offer you a big huge.

I was wondering if you can settle a dispute over a little prick? One of the guys at work was just given one of those machines that check your sugar because he is diabetic, and now all of a sudden he is an expert. Him and a couple of the guys were checking there blood using the same little prick. They asked me and I said FUGETABOUTIT! These pricks are using the same prick to prick themselves, then they wanted to prick me with the same prick and called me a prick for saying no. Dr. who do you think is the prick me or them? If one was HIV infected could it pass, or any other disease? Your the best I read your forum ever week.

Thanks, To prick or not to prick?

So these big pricks were using the same little prick to prick themselves and then called you a prick because you wouldn't let them prick you with the same little prick? These brainiacs sound like prime candidates for natural de-selection. If they were any more stupid, they'd have to be watered twice a week.

No doubt your "FUHGEDDABOUTIT" was the proper response. Could HIV be transmitted via pricks senselessly pricking each other with the same prick? Yes, it is theoretically possible. I'll bet the instructions that came with the testing device specifically warn against reusing the lancets. You might want to point this out to those pricking pricks.

Stay safe. Stay sane. Stay well.

Newly infected: Time between exposure and seroconversion illness?
Antibody/Viral Load Tests (please answer!)