Garbage Man in Need

Doc Robert, You responded to a question I had back in January, when I had an incident of giving oral sex and getting some blood in my mouth. I have had my 3 month test and it was negative! What a relief. But before I could enjoy the celebration, I was working (Sanitation Worker) and got stuck by something in a bag. I freaked out. I opened the bag but didn't see anything that looked like a needle, however, there were some wooden scewers used for food, that were very sharp. I still went to the emergency room (formality with the job) and the doctor there said the chances of getting HIV from a needle in the garbage are zero to none. What is your view on that, and do you think that they handle it correctly as far as only treating me with a tetnis shot and started a Hep B vacination. I have to go get the 2nd and 3rd shots down the line. Which I was going to do anyway because I was tested at my own doctors to find out if I had the vacination. He also tested for Hep C back in November as well. So, I really would love to hear your opinion on this because I absolutely love you and your work here. Because of you and your work,I have become a contributer to your concertedeffort.org site since we first contacted each other and will continue doing so. Peace and Love to you!

V

Hello V,

First off, congratulations on your negative three-month test following your last HIV scare. Sorry the celebration was so short lived!

Regarding your current incident, although I would not put the chances of contracting HIV from a discarded needle in the garbage at "zero to none," I would certainly say the risk is remote at best, particularly in your case in which you did not find a needle, but rather wooden skewers! Certainly a tetanus booster immunization and beginning your hepatitis B vaccination series are good ideas. You've had a very recent HIV test, so we can assume your baseline status is HIV negative. If you remain worried about the very remote chance of contracting HIV from your recent stick, get an HIV test at the three-month mark. I'm quite confident the results will be negative, which should put any residual fears permanently to rest and allow you to WOO-HOO without any second thoughts, OK?

Thank you for your donations. They are warmly appreciated. In return, I'll send more of my good-luck/good-health karma that your definitive test is once again negative (as I very strongly believe it will indeed be!)

Be well. Stay well!

I go stuck with a needle while at work
Protected and still paranoid