Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

I go stuck with a needle while at work
Apr 13, 2007

I am a phlebotomist, and i had an incident at work where i got stuck with the needle immediatley after i took the needle from his arm. What are the risk of me contracting the hiv or aids virus.. We follow a protocol at work that if we came to a situation where we got stuck with a needle we would have to report it. I just started that job and i didnt want to look irresponsible so i did not report it i waited after work to go to the hospital and all they did was gave me tectnus shot. i followed with my physician about 1 week later and took the hiv test and everything came back normal. im supposed to follow up and im to scared to go please help me.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

Getting stuck with a needle while working doesn't mean you are "irresponsible!" It happened to me as well and I do not consider myself irresponsible in the least! Knowing that you have a protocol to follow for occupational exposures and deciding not to report the incident, that's being irresponsible!!!

My advice is that you collect up the hospital report from the day of the incident and your private physician's report from a week later and present the information to your supervisor/occupational medicine division. Fill out the incident report and follow the protocol! A more thorough evaluation as well as follow-up screening for bloodborne pathogens (hepatitis and HIV) will then be arranged.

Good luck!

Dr. Bob

Previous
Woo-hoo!
Next
Garbage Man in Need

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.