I go stuck with a needle while at work

I am a phlebotomist, and i had an incident at work where i got stuck with the needle immediatley after i took the needle from his arm. What are the risk of me contracting the hiv or aids virus.. We follow a protocol at work that if we came to a situation where we got stuck with a needle we would have to report it. I just started that job and i didnt want to look irresponsible so i did not report it i waited after work to go to the hospital and all they did was gave me tectnus shot. i followed with my physician about 1 week later and took the hiv test and everything came back normal. im supposed to follow up and im to scared to go please help me.

Getting stuck with a needle while working doesn't mean you are "irresponsible!" It happened to me as well and I do not consider myself irresponsible in the least! Knowing that you have a protocol to follow for occupational exposures and deciding not to report the incident, that's being irresponsible!!!

My advice is that you collect up the hospital report from the day of the incident and your private physician's report from a week later and present the information to your supervisor/occupational medicine division. Fill out the incident report and follow the protocol! A more thorough evaluation as well as follow-up screening for bloodborne pathogens (hepatitis and HIV) will then be arranged.

Good luck!

Woo-hoo!
Garbage Man in Need