Unwarranted fear - Sex with condom

Hi Dr. Bob,

I totally dig whatchyall doin here...god has blessed yall with that gift....of helping people....donation is on its way.

anywho, I had sex with a sex worker here in LA. Although I used a condom and even afterwards did the water leak test (it was intact) I still have these panic attacks in the middle of the day. I almost caused an accident when suddenly the fear of HIV popped into my head I started getting into a rage hitting my steeringwhell and bumped into the curb on the other side of the street. please tell me my fear is unwarranted. This fear makes me want to kill myself. I could not cope with this disease tha way u homies do it.

What contributes to it is that all the infosites are so vague about it - some say no others say little and again other say significat risk eveen with condom.

God bless yall.

Mr."I can;t take it no mor"

Hello Mr. "I Can't Take It No More,"

Unfortunately, I cannot tell you that your fear of premature death is unwarranted! This however has absolutely nothing to do with HIV! If you are having panic attacks that cause you to hit your steering wheel in a rage such that you are running into curbs on the other side of the street while driving in L.A., I'd say that's a dangerous and a potential premature death inducing situation! L.A. traffic is difficult enough to navigate without crossing lanes through oncoming traffic and hitting curbs on the opposite site of the street! YIKES!

As for HIV, relax, Max! If the latex condom was used properly and did not break, your HIV risk is essentially nonexistent! HIV cannot permeate intact latex. No way. No how. If you remain worried, get an HIV rapid test at the three-month mark. It will undoubtedly be negative and hopefully that will put any residual fears permanently to rest not to mention greatly improve your driving safety, OK? In the meantime, I have to be in L.A. several times over the next few weeks. So if you are planning on driving anywhere before you get your definitively negative HIV test, could you shoot me a quick heads-up email so I'll know to stay off the highways? Thanks.

Be well! Stay safe and you'll stay well.

Thank You!!!!!!!!!!
Bush/Reagan not the only ones with a subpar track record