Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Thank You!!!!!!!!!!
Apr 13, 2007

Hi Dr. Bob: Just finished reading your response to my occupational exposure risk (giving ppd test to HIV+ patient, pulled needle out too far from the skin and the liquid squirted in my eye)and just wanted to say thank you very much for your encouraging words and expertise, Dr. Bob.

I am going to inform my Director tomorrow or technically today. I am posting this at 1:38am EST and as you can see my fears of exposure have turned into many sleepless nights.

Again, thank you so much. As someone who has worked in the field of HIV/AIDS for over 10 years, I must say that I learn something new about how to live and appreciate life.

Again thank you Dr. Bob and I hope that you are correct in seeing my risk as "remote".

P.S. I frequently read the body, but never read the prevention forum. You perform a needed services and I submit a donation to your organization and hope to continue bi-monthly.

God Bless, Dr. Bob

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

Thanks for your thanks. I remain absolutely confident that your HIV risk is remote at best. In prospective studies on health care providers, the average risk for HIV transmission related to mucous-membrane exposure to infected blood is approximately 0.09%. Your risk would be significantly less due to the dilutional effect of the PPD solution. Despite this extremely remote risk, I do still advise all potential occupational exposures be reported and documented. You can review the "Updated U.S. Public Health Service Guidelines for the Management of Occupational Exposure to HIV and Recommendations for Postexposure Prophylaxis" by downloading the document from the CDC or DHHS Web sites. It was also published in Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report (MMWR) September 30, 2005/Vol. 54/No. RR-9. This information should provide you with additional reassurance and reading it will certainly help with your sleepless nights, because, like most medical reports, it's rather dry, boring and quite sleep-inducing! (I find most medical journals work better than Ambien!)

Thank you for your donation(s). Your gift will touch many lives in desperate need and also help us promote HIV/AIDS awareness and prevention through advocacy and education. On behalf of the lives that will be touched by your generosity, please accept my heartfelt thanks. I'm also sending my good-luck karma that your occupational exposure did not lead to seroconversion. (I'm quite confident it did not!)

Be well! (And that's a doctor's order!)

Dr. Bob

Previous
Symptoms of HIV after 4 days
Next
Unwarranted fear - Sex with condom

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.