Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Why do Doctors order tests inside the window period?
Apr 12, 2007

Hi Dr. Bob,

Thank you so much for the wealth of knowledge you give to this site. I have learned a great deal about HIV that I did not know before.

I have a question regarding testing. Why do some doctors/healthcare centers order patients HIV tests if they are inside their window period? I know obviously some people do not share the right time of their exposure but do Doctors ask for this information? I had a 5 month test done and my doctor just asked if I had intercourse with someone. Also, are urine tests for chlamydia trustworthy? I had one which was negative 4 months after my exposure.

Thanks for your help.

Sincerely,

Carl

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi Carl,

HIV-screening tests are ordered during the window period for a wide variety of not very good reasons:

1. Patients demand it.

2. Health care providers are unclear on the concept of window periods or limitations of antibody tests.

3. Patients perform their own tests at home.

4. Anxiety ("window pain").

There are some appropriate reasons to run some types of HIV tests in certain very specific situations. Plasma HIV RNA can be useful in diagnosing acute retroviral syndrome prior to seroconversion in certain situations. However, 2% to 9% of people without HIV infection have false-positive results and this type of testing is not appropriate for routine HIV screening for a variety of reasons.

Regarding urine tests for Chlamydia, yes, they are trustworthy.

Be well, Carl.

Dr. Bob

Previous
PLZ PLZ PLZ help me!!
Next
Symptoms of HIV after 4 days

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.