Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 

Second time please help

Hi Dr. Bob: Wrote to you about two weeks ago in reference to occupational exposure. I was giving a TB and liquid squirted in my eye (I pulled the needle out too far and depressed the plunger of the syringe). The client has a viral load of 162 and a CD4 count of 890. I now have a runny nose and a splitting headache. What are the chances of me infected in this manner? I did not take PEP because the ID doctor said not too. Please answer my question, I am going to go crazy. The incident happened two weeks ago.

Your HIV-transmission risk from this occupational exposure is remote at best. I would agree with the ID physician that PEP certainly was not warranted. However, I would complete the formal incident report so there is a record of your potential exposure. Screening and appropriate follow-up tests for blood-borne pathogens should be obtained per protocol as indicated.

Almost certainly your runny nose and headache have absolutely nothing to do with HIV, but you should have every reassurance available that indeed the incident did not result in infection.

A big THANK YOU and WOO-HOO!
Dr. Bob your the Greatest!!