Lasor surgery

Dear Doctor Bob, This is more of a comment about the writer who felt discriminated against by their salon for refusing to treat them for lasor surgery after the person divulged their HIV status. I too felt discrinated against because I answered that I was HIV on a form. My experience was at a chiropractors office. He expressed his concerns and said he felt as though he had to wear gloves when adjusting my kneck and spine. I asked if he wore gloves with his other patients and he said no but that he would close the door so that no one including his assistant would not see him wearing gloves and wonder why. I was appalled and did not return as I was just going in for a concultation.He called me and I told him I didn't feel comfortable with someone cracking my neck that didn't feel confident.I have had great care here in Philadelphia and was shocked that someone especially in the health care industry and in a major city was so ill informed.

Your experience is all too common, even in big cities and with people, including health care professionals, who should know better! I'm glad you decided against having this ill-informed chiropractor treat you. It probably would be a good idea to inform the AIDS service organizations in Philadelphia of your experience so they can spread the word and advise other HIVers to avoid this office. A letter to the state health commissioner or quality assurance board may also be worthwhile. They in turn may contact this bozo to remind him universal precautions are the way to protect against blood-borne pathogens and these precautions apply to all patients, not only those honest enough to check the HIV box. He would probably be shocked to know that 25% of the estimated one million HIV-positive Americans have absolutely no idea they have contracted the virus.

Obviously some folks should never have gone into the health care field. Your ex-chiropractor is obviously one of them.

Discrimination? Apr 1, 2007

Hi Dr. Bob!!

How are you?

This question is a bit off topic, but I thought you were the best person to ask. Is there any reason why an HIV+ person should not get laser hair removal? Does laser hair removal present any risk at all to people with HIV? At any stage?

I was having it done until I was diagnosed with HIV. When I checked that little "HIV+" box on their form at the next visit, they told me they would not treat me because I have a "compromised immune system" (and also wouldn't give me a refund for the rest of the visits I had paid for). So I was wondering.

Thank you very much for your time. I hope it isn't offensive to you to be sent something off-topic.

Stories like yours are all too common. Is there any reason why HIVers shouldn't get laser hair removal at any stage of their illness? Absolutely not!

Is this a case of blatant (and blatantly illegal) HIV/AIDS discrimination? Absolutely.

Should you take legal action against those who discriminated against you? Absofrickinlutely! (If you play your cards right, you could wind up owning the whole salon!) Get a good lawyer or call your local chapter of "AIDS Legal Services" or even the ACLU. Not only will you get your money back and then some; the perpetrators will learn a much needed and deserved lesson.

Go get 'em!

another night sweats question
Muscle pain and high white blood cell count