re: Alternative sites for blood donation

Dr. Bob,

First, many thanks for your wonderful efforts here. Since testing poz in Aug 2005, I've come here to learn and laugh. You have definately made my journey easier. Now on to my post -- as much as I hate to defend Dubya -- I have to point out that the illogical ban on blood donations by men who have sex with men has been around a lot longer than he has. I wrote a paper about this false sense of security while working on my MPH in the late 90's. It is ridiculous that a man can have unsafe sex with a positive woman and be deferred for only a year, but a man who had sex with another man (even once) anytime since 1976 is permanently banned. It defies logic and common sense. So, while I agree the idiot at 1600 Penn. Ave could be pushing to bring science into the equation, he is not solely responsible for this policy. It needs to be brought into the present. Now -- don't worry, I will continue to display my "Is it 2008 Yet" bumper sticker. One last thing -- are you going to be having another raffle this year?? I want to give you another chance to pick my name (seeing as you didn't pick it last year). :-)

Thanks once more for all you do to help us remain positive about being positive, Mike

Hi Mike,

You are absolutely correct. There were several nonsensical measures that became policy earlier in the epidemic when hysteria, fear and ignorance were rampant. Since then some of these overreactions have been rectified by science, common sense and our quarter of a century experience studying HIV. The reason I blame the Rodeo Clown on Pennsylvania Avenue is that recommendations have been sent to him and this anti-science administration pointing out scientifically that this particular policy makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. Then again, that is why the policy seems to fit so well with all of Dubya's other idiotic policies.

Thanks for your post, Mike.

The "Is it 2008 yet?" bumper stickers are now ubiquitous in San Francisco and I even say a fair number of them in Ohio (of all places) last week!!!

Stay well. I remain positively positive that being positive about being positive is positively the most positive thing we positives can do.

Happy Easter.

I am terrified.
considering PEP please answer ASAP