Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Sunken eyes, cheeks and body getting thinner
Apr 9, 2007

I am a 37 year old heterosexual male who has been experiencing some major changes to my body in the last 3-4 months. My face is getting thinner with sunken eyes and cheeks. My arms, legs and chest have also been affected and are noticably thinner. None of my clothes fit me and even hang loose. I have not exercised for the last 3-4 months because I am worried that I would make things worse by continuing with my walking or running program. I do not have watery diarrhea but have noticed that my stool is soft, thin and often times yellowish. I usually have a bowel movement 1 a day or 1 every 2 days for the last 2 months. I have white spots on my gums and just inside my lips that do not wipe off or can be scraped off. I also, have pimples on my face and have a lot of dried skin or peeling. Lastly, I have rough spots on top of my forearms (not underneath the skin) that are reddish to purplish. My first year in college was 1987 and I do not know if my roommate raped me but I do remember having a little blood from my anus while showering. I changed roommmates and do not know how many times he may have taken advantage of me while we shared a dorm room. I was tested for hiv about three weeks ago because of all of these symptoms and have tested negative. My question is ... can I test negative for hiv but have progressed this far and be dealing with aids defining illnesses?

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

You don't know if your college roommate raped you??? Or how many times he may have taken advantage of you????? Hmmm . . . . It seems to me that's the kind of thing one would notice and remember, doncha think??? Nonetheless, your negative HIV tests three weeks ago are definitive and conclusive. You did not contract HIV from your college roommate or anyone else. Whatever is causing your symptoms, one thing is certain: it's not HIV. I suggest you see your doctor for a checkup. If no physical condition can be found for your symptoms, you should consider a psychological cause. Your HIV fears are unwarranted and irrational. To answer your specific question can you test HIV negative and still progress to AIDS-defining illnesses? the answer is no. HIV is not your problem. No way. No how.

Dr. Bob

Previous
PLEASE
Next
Herbal Healing

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.