Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

The Good, The Bad and The FUGLY!
Apr 8, 2007

Hi Hello Dr. Bob,

Writing from Boston here. I know your wonderful, late brother lived here. I saw his write up in the globe here, he sounded like a wonderful gentleman. I am sorry.

My question and story is this. I gave oral to two guys (both briefly, maybe a min or so each) I also rimmed them. What was I thinking, they were rather fugly. Ok, brief oral and long rimming. About two weeks later I got the worst sore throat of my life, my glands swelled up horribly like golf balls in my neck. I felt like crap for a week, tired, fever, the whole nine yards. I went to the doctor, didn't have strep, he did bacteria tests, came back fine. He said it was just a viral thing. I didn't put two and two together until the other night..maybe I got HIV! Please give me your wisdom, your advice, your kindness. I haven't slept in three days, haven't eaten much and am beating myself up! I am totally anxious and feeling my glands every min. Yikes! I plan on getting tested, but I have to wait for the window period to be over with. What do you think? Do you think I could be one of those few percentages that got it from oral? By the way, the two bjs were not to ejacuation, but there was precum and lots of it.

Thank you! You are in my thoughts, Doctor

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

Thanks for your kind words about my brother Pete. Yes, he indeed was one special guy.

Regarding your chances of contracting HIV from brief oral sex and extensive rimming of two "fuglies," the best I can offer is that the statistical odds are astronomically in your favor. "Symptoms" are notoriously unreliable for determining who is and is not HIV infected; consequently, I don't rely on them!

Yes, if you're worried, you'll need an HIV test at the three-month mark. Should you be freaking out in the interim? No, of course not. Remember, there are no documented cases of HIV transmission from rimming or getting rimmed, fugly or studly! So relax, Max. Stop poking at your glands and get some sleep, frevinsakes! Those dark circles under your eyes and that frowny-face are not an attractive look for you!

I'll send my good-luck karma that your definitive three-month test is negative (as I very strongly suspect it will indeed be), OK?

Be well. Worrying won't help!

Dr. Bob

Previous
low risk+low load=longer window period?
Next
to all the worried wells

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.