Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

bad decision
Apr 6, 2007

Aloha Dr. Bob, A couple weeks ago I went out and had sex with a prostitute( protected oral and anal).I don't know what I was thinking but I feel like I really screwed up and might be paying for one bad decision for the rest of my life(I've always wanted to get married and have kids one day..white picket fence etc.) Now I'm starting to really worry I got HIV even though I used a condom and it didn't break and I didn't see any holes etc. Assumming she had HIV does my condom use make me not at all at risk or is there still risk. If the penetration was short is there less risk...I started freaking out after about 10 seconds and pulled out. Would getting tested at 1 month make any sense(I know the test is not conclusive until 3 months...Ive been reading the archives) I'm pretty anxious about the encounter and waiting 3 months seems like forever.Would neg at one month be an encouraging sign? at 2 months? I keep thinking that somehow it got through the condom(did I mention I'm a bit of a hypochondriac...as if you couldn't tell) I keep feeling tired and weak and checking my lymph nodes. Also I feel like I'm losing weight...is this a sympton of hiv? I am starting to freak myself out. I've read alot of the posts and I see I'm not the only one that lets their worrys get the best of them. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks Doc and I'll be sending a donation your way! Cheers!

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

If you've been reading the archives, then you'll already know everything I'm going to advise, but since "repetition is the mother of learning," here we go again:

1. Protected sex is indeed protected if the latex (or polyurethane) condom was used properly and did not fail. HIV cannot get through intact latex (or polyurethane). No way. No how.

2. Symptoms are notoriously unreliable at predicting HIV infection. Stop checking your lymph nodes. You have absolutely no idea what you're feeling for anyway and it just makes you look silly poking and prodding here, there and everywhere.

3. HIV-antibody tests taken prior to the three-month mark are not considered definitive or conclusive. So I don't recommend them.

Thanks for your donation! In return, I'm sending you my good-luck/good-health karma that your three-month HIV test is negative. From what you've told me, it undoubtedly will be.

Good luck. Be well. (And that's a doctor's order!)

Dr. Bob

Previous
You are a light from heaven
Next
asking for the 3rd time, please help

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.