Last time...I need to put my fears to rest!

Dr. Bob... I cannot, in any words, express just how grateful I am for all you've done for me. You've given me encouragement and hope throughout the lowest...and I mean the lowest time in my life. I think I can finally Woohooo!!!.. Although, you had said I could three months agoBut, my Infectious Disease Dr. felt I needed a 6 month HIV1/2 test to permanently rule out HIV. Before I do Woohoo and begin smelling the roses again...or the daffodils for that matter, I have a couple of lingering questions in my mind that hopefully you can put to rest for me since I haven't been able to find the info. I need in the archives. I apologize if my questions are a bit intricate for this siteI know theyre supposed to be helpful and educational for everyone and not make things overly complicated.

A very quick back story to refresh you on my case.... I had my last sexual exposure at the end of September 06' ...on October 6th I got an indeterminate HIV test...weakly reactive p24. My OBGYN neglected to run an Elisa to my dismay. One week later, I had a negative HIV RNA PCR. Exactly two months after the first western blot, I had another, again, done without the Elisa and the results were weakly reactive P24 and weakly reactive P40. At this point, the partner I was with tested negative on a rapid HIV1/2 five months from his last sexual encounter. At least, according to him it had been 5 months. Then at 76 days from my last exposure I had a HIV1/2 test done this time by an Elisa...Negative and also a unigold HIV1 rapidnegative. The infectious disease Dr. advised I waited until I was 6 months out of my window period and test again. Today I got my results on the HIV1/2 Elisa...Negative...Woohoo!!! ..I think??

I have some residual concerns...please tell me if I'm being neurotic and irrational and If I should permanently put my fears to rest??? I believe I may need counseling and will follow through with it if you believe my concerns are irrational for I do feel my fear has turned to obsession.

1) I am concerned about HTLV 1/11 and I can't seem to find much info. about this. I understand it's pretty rare in the US but I've read that p24 and taxp40 are markers for this virus. Also, the guy I was with has Non-Hodgkin's lymphoma which I've read can .be caused by HTLV1/11 and finally, he has been a blood donor recipient of plasma multiple times...he even received plasma while we were together in September. Do you think I should be concerned about this? I understand that the RedCross tests for this, but I guess I'm concerned about window periods or maybe that he already had this and that's how he developed his lymphoma. Should I get tested and should I be worried?

2) Secondly, I know time and time again you get the question about rare-subtypes but being that I reacted to core proteins and it's usually the envelope proteins that vary in rare subtypes(correct me if I'm wrong)...I'm afraid I could have one of these subtypes. Is it true that Elisas react based on the envelope proteins? I had a unigold rapid test at one point and read that it was created with HIV synthetic Envelope proteins. Do you think I need to test for O and N and mutated B subtypes, or do you think the Elisas would have reacted if that were the case?

3)Lastly...my doctor reassured me today that she really felt I was fine but when she talked about sero-conversion...she did say that in a very small amount of people it can take up to a year and the option of testing at a year was up to me...although, she did reassure me that she believes I do not have anything to worry aboutin the same breath, she admitted that I probably know more about HIV than most Doctors and med students and she didnt have answers to my specific questions. So youre really my only hope at this moment for some closure. For someone like myself, whose nerves are through the wall and who wants to fix her relationship with her husband and move on...hearing the possibility of a year was not easy to swallow. I know the chances of this are so minute but I'm having a hard time letting go. Is my 6 month test conclusive...close the book end of story?

Thank you so much for all that you've done for me...I am so thankful to know you're there...out in cyberspace and that you're real and that you care!

I haven't yet made a donation because quite honestly...I'm very poor right now. But with the hopes of a business taking off...I'll make your foundation # 1 on my list for charitable donations. This experience and what I've learned from your site has undoubtedly changed my life.

Thank you so much for all of your support, knowledge and compassion and I wish you Health and Happiness! Signed,

Semi-Woohoo!!!

Hello Semi-WOO-HOO,

I told you to WOO-HOO three months ago and your follow-up negative tests at six months certainly have not changed my mind!!!

To briefly respond to your questions:

1. No.

2. No.

3. Yes.

Bottom line: yes, I do believe you are being "neurotic and irrational" and yes, I do believe you should put your fears permanently to rest.

oral exposure
WEPA! (CDC's REVISED RECOMMENDATIONS FOR HIV TESTING)