steroids and hiv testing

Hello Dr Bob, first off let me tell how great this site is. I don't think there is one other site on the web that is helping so many people! My question is about five years ago I was treated with steroids for a nerve problem in my neck, could this cause a false negative six years later? I think I may have been infracted 13 years ago. I still have many hiv symptoms and I am wondering if I should have some more tests done. Thanks for your help. Ray.

Hello Ray,

You think you were "infracted" 13 years ago and you are worried that steroids you took five years ago might cause a false-negative result six years later? Ray, be reasonable. If medications we took five years ago were able to screw up HIV test results six years later, we'd be in one hell of a mess trying to determine who is and is not infected (not "infracted", by the way) today, right? Your use of steroids five years ago definitely will not affect HIV test results. If your HIV tests are negative, you'll need to look elsewhere for the cause of your symptoms. HIV is not your problem. No way. No how.

safe sex safe?
can you get pregnet from giving oral sex?