Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

To start the medications or later
Apr 5, 2007

HEllo Doctor,

I was dignosed with HIV + Feb 2007. My first lab test (march 07) showed CD 4 count - 363 and viral load count 131,100.The doctor told me that he need another lab test in two months time to determine whether my CD4 will reduce and viral load increse. From there he will make further judment. I am very panic but unable to do anything but just listen to the doctor's advice.

What should I do?

The panic HIV+

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

Sorry to learn about your recent HIV diagnosis. Try not to panic! A period of adjustment to your new reality as a person living with HIV is normal and to be expected. I would suggest you read through the information on this site, beginning with the topics under "Quick Links" on The Body's homepage. There you will find topics, such as (1) Just Diagnosed, (2) HIV Medications, (3) HIV Monitoring Tests and (4) Inspiring Stories.

Learning about HIV, treatment options, monitoring tests, etc. will empower you so that you will no longer feel panicky and unable to do anything but listen to your doctor. You should become an active participant in all treatment decisions!

Waiting two months for another set of laboratory tests, including CD4 count and plasma viral load, is reasonable. But that doesn't mean there is nothing for you to do in the interim. For instance, in addition to learning about HIV, you should optimize your nutrition and exercise routine, decrease stress and expand your support network.

Good luck! Remember, I've been HIV positive since January 1991 and I'm here to help, OK? Let's get through this together.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Please im suicidal third time i email but no answer, from spain
Next
safe sex safe?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.