Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

why is it "W"s fault?
Apr 5, 2007

since HIV/AIDS has been around for 25 years (my son was an early casualty) WHY blame the President .. puleeze .. that's as bad as blaming it all on Reagan .. this is NOT a political forum .. give it a break !

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

Why is Dubya at fault for hampering efforts to slow the spread of HIV/AIDS???? Well, let me give you some examples:

1. Programs to prevent the spread of HIV are unquestionably a crucial component of the long-term fight. Yet, Dubya (and the last Republican Congress) specified that only 20% of the President's Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief (PEPFAR) could be spent on prevention. Even more egregious is the restriction that one third of that money had to be used to promote abstinence until marriage!!!! Consequently, more money has been spent in that area than on any other prevention activities, including the distribution of condoms and blocking mother-to-child transmission!!!! This is not only unscientific, it's shamefully immoral!

2. Another anti-science restriction forbids the use of taxpayer money to provide clean needles to injecting drug users.

3. Yet another restriction requires that all antiretroviral medications be approved by the United States Food and Drug Administration. This blocks the use of more inexpensive generic antiretrovirals, even those approved by the World Health Organization!

Despite the above, your comment about Reagan is a good one. The Centers for Disease Control reported the first case of AIDS in June 1981 during Reagan's Presidency. However, he blatantly ignored the looming crisis, preferring to act like an ostrich with his head stuck in the sand and did not even publicly utter the word AIDS until September 1985! Had he shown some degree of compassion or leadership, perhaps your son and so many other sons, daughters, husbands, wives and lovers would not be "casualties!"

So I agree with you. We shouldn't just blame Dubya. I stand corrected. Reagan must share the infamy!

Dr. Bob

Previous
HIV and menstruation
Next
Please im suicidal third time i email but no answer, from spain

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.