Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Desperate and scared. Have made donation
Apr 3, 2007

Hi Dr Bob,

I had a high risk exposure six weeks ago. It was the first time I'd done that. Terrible decision and I have been absolutely sressed out ever since. I am a male and had sex with another male, I was the top. Used a condom but I think that broke. After 5 days I had flu like symptoms - mild chills, cough, sore throat and tingling sensations in my legs and back. This lasted for about three days. No sign of swollen glands though. Since then I have occasionally had a dry mouth and strange sensations, as though something crawling on my skin. I am going to have a test next week and am very nervous. Please send me your good karma as I have found your answers on this forum and your positive outlook an enormous help in getting through the last few weeks. I think your work is amazing and I have made a donation to concerted effort. My questions are 1) Do you think my symptoms are consistent with ARS? and 2) How reliable will a test at 6 and a half weeks be? I will still definitely get a 3 month test but would like to know. Please reply Doc I am feeling very worried at the moment. Many thanks.

Moby

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello Moby,

Thanks for your kind comments and donation! Regarding your questions:

1. Symptoms are notoriously unreliable, so I don't really pay much attention to them. If you've had an HIV risk, you need HIV testing, whether symptoms are present or not. If I were forced to comment on your "symptoms," I would say they started too soon to be HIV related (it usually takes weeks) and they are not worrisome for ARS (acute retroviral syndrome).

2. Most HIV-positive folks will have detectable levels of HIV antibodies by 6.5 weeks. However, "most" is certainly not good enough when dealing with a disease like HIV. Consequently, I concur with the guidelines, which state that HIV-antibody tests taken prior to three months are not considered to be definitive or conclusive.

I'll send you my good-luck karma that your definitive three-month test is negative.

Good luck. Be well!

Dr. Bob

Previous
Urgent! Should I start post-exposure prophylaxis?
Next
So How Many Got Infected Via Insertive Oral

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.