from victorian (just donated over the phone to steve)

Hey Doctor Bob, Just got off the phone with Doctor Steve, hes a really nice guy. I made a donation for 30 dollars (I know its not much but all I can afford right now) Anyways here's my question, I had a possible exposure in thailand with an unknown status. I have had lymph nodes under my chin, and one in my armpit, and about 7 in my groin that have been there for about 2 months. Two doctors told me they were normal size and one thought they were a little bit enlarged. Also I have had one stuffed up nostril for a long time. I had negative antibody tests at 1 month, 2 months, and 3 months. Here are my questions 1) Do modern antibody tests detect subtype E, found in thailand? My test was done in Vancouver Canada. 2)My Family physician sais to test at 3 months and 6 months, however on this site, and on medhelp.org it sais that 3 months is completely conclusive, what is the accuracy of 3 months, is it 99.9%? 3) Should I let this hiv thing go? Thanks so much Doctor

Hi Canadian Guy,

I agree: Dr. Steve is indeed "a really nice guy!" Thanks for your donation! Thirty dollars may seem like a drop in the bucket to you, but it's an ocean of philanthropy to those in desperate need! I answered your question several days ago. See below.

Stay well, eh?!?

PLEASE HELP!! Apr 1, 2007

Hi Dr. Bob,

Here is my question, I had a possible exposure to an unknown status in Thailand. I have had a few lymph nodes in my neck, 1 in my armpit and about 7 in my groin. Two doctors told me they were normal size, and One doctor seemed to think they were a little bit enlarged. I tested negative at 1 month, 2 months, and 3 months. My tests were done in Vancouver, Canada, and I have been told that their tests are modern tests that are very accurate, and that modern tests can detect all subtypes (including subtype E from Thailand) My questions are. 1) Will modern antibody tests detect subtype E? 2) My GP has said that testing should be done at 3 months and 6 months, is 6 month testing necessary, and what is the percentage that test positive by 3 months, is it 99.9%? Thanks doctor bob, I appreciate your help you are a wonderful man. -Your biggest Canuck fan.

Hello Canuck Fan,

1. I would consider your repeatedly negative HIV-antibody tests out to three months definitive and conclusive following your Bangkok banging cock experience That includes subtype "E" or as it is also called CRFO1_AE. HIV antibody tests now are quite sensitive in detecting non-B clade viruses.

2. Percentages of "99.9" or "99.whatever" are just statistical estimates. The chances of your testing positive beyond three months based on your history and testing to date would be so remote as to be essentially nonexistent. If you want to retest again at six months, go ahead. The option is always open to you (and anyone else). Personally, I don't feel it's warranted, needed or necessary.

Stay safe and you'll stay well.

Hello Doctor Bob, Can you PLEASE help a fellow Italian out? My boyfriend dumped me, I will try to make a donation soon.
Dr Bob...a massive thanks