Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Two Questions and a comment about that Jerk and a-hole Sen. Coburn and John McCain
Apr 1, 2007

Hi Doctor,

May I rant? Senator Coburn (MD, too) has said that condoms only provide 69% protection for HIV. He has said this in interviews and in seminars. WHAT? What an A-hole. And that second A-hole John McCain supports his view! Just read that in a recent interview he did. Can you believe it. Please people, don't support this man for president, PLEASE.

Thanks for letting me get that off my chest. Add your comments too!

My question is why hasn't condoms for oral sex caught on? I know the risk is minimal, but there is a risk no less. I have done it without a condom a few times, well a lot of times in the past, not to ejaculation, but maybe precum. Now I will use condoms for oral (and have always used one for anal, start to finish). I know some guys use condoms for oral and ladies as well, but it just seems the majority don't use them. I know its a personal decision, but damn, its scary to think every BJ could result in horrible results. And finally, any updates on rimming risks? I know no cases have been reported, but is the risk zero or close to it?

Thanks doc - for the rant and for allowing me ask some questions.

Peter from the great state of Rhode Island

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hey Peter,

Certainly you can rant! (And you do it so well . . . .)

Condoms for oral sex have caught on for some folks! For others, the "minimal risk" you accurately identify for oral sex is an acceptable risk. Everyone sets their own level of acceptable risk in many ways every day. Do you drive the speed limit or five miles per hour above it? Do you accelerate when you see the yellow caution light or stop? Do you vote Republican or . . . ? Oops, sorry, there is not "or" to that one. It's just plain idiotic (and dangerous) to even consider that much risk when we know so much about the consequences of their "compassionate" conservatism and "moral values" and sex-phobic/science-phobic policies, etc., etc., etc.

Finally, regarding risk, it's impossible to say anything we do has absolutely zero risk. So instead we advise you what we know of actual risk. For rimming, what we know is that 26 years into the epidemic there are no documented cases of HIV transmission from rimming or getting rimmed.

Stay well, Pete. I'm sure you will. (Both McCain and Coburn should be history at the time of the next election. Once ousted out of politics maybe then they'll have time to learn the scientific facts about condoms and HIV prevention.)

Dr. Bob

Previous
Woohoo!!! Thanks Dr. Bob!
Next
??? (ABOUT DR. BOB)

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.