Unprotected Top - Don't Do It!!!!

Dear Dr. Bob, Thanks so much for all the work you do on this site and the compassion you show to those of us afflicted w/this horrible disease. Recently you updated the old "is it OK to not wear a condom if as the top re: insertive anal sex"?

Please let me tell you that it is not OK and also thoroughly insane to not wear a condom. I'm a bi-male who liked to occasionally explore my man-to-man side and I told myself it can't happen to me because I was never the receiver, only the pitcher....I usually wore a condom, but not always. On a handful of occasions (probably 4 or 5 times over the course of 5-6 years) I didn't wear the raincoat. 3 years ago I left my job to work on my own as a consultant, needed to buy life insurance and well, well, well.... you can probably guess the rest. The hiv test came back positive. In fact, I got in to see a doctor ASAP and my t-cells were just above the AIDS Mendoza line at 231. So meds were called for, first Sustiva/Combivir and for the last 6 months Atripla. Doing much better now, t-cells up to 820 and percentage at 41% (from 18.6%). Anyway, whereas I don't want my viral co-traveler, I can't seem to give it back!!! If all those out there don't want the nightmare of this disease, then don't get sloppy, use a condom EVERY time. I can tell you it is not worth it any other way!!! You might tell yourself the virus is not easy to transmit if you are giving and not receiving, like I did, but in fact it sure got me on one of the few times I didn't "follow the correct procedure". Anyway, I hope this real life testimonial makes someone think twice (or more) about not taking the proper precautions. It's too late for me but hopefully not others. Thanks Dr. Bob and I will remain a faithful reader of both of your forums.

Sincerely, Mistaken Midwesterner

P.S. - Although my hiv is here to stay, I take comfort in knowing just 21 months to go w/the Bush gang. I hope our nation has the will to survive this horrible blight!!!

Hello Mistaken Midwesterner,

Thanks for taking the time to write in with your real life story! Hopefully it will help those cocky tops who, despite my advice, continue to feel they are invincible. They often report to me that they just don't like wearing a condom. Well, I'm sure you would agree with me that they wouldn't like having HIV/AIDS even more!

Regarding that Rodeo Cowboy who currently inhabits the White House, I find it encouraging that a "Midwesterner" is bashing Bush! After all, it was all those square red states in the middle of the country that elected this disastrous bumbling blockhead! Well, it is kind of fun to see his empire crumbling and all the king's men tumbling off their phony white horses. Looks like Torture-Boy Gonzales will be the next one to fall on his sword.

Stay well, Midwesterner. We'll get through both scourges (HIV and Dubya) together, OK?

The only one i can share this with
Condoms work- they have saved me from STDs