Odds of Different Result This Time?

Hi Dr. Bob.

Here I am, 27 weeks post exposure - nearly 7 months - and I'm off for another test tomorrow. I took your advice and had one 3 months past my last exposure, which was unprotected insertive vaginal intercourse with two separate women of unknown status. I was delighted to receive my three month negative, and thought that would be it. However, lingering fatigue, nauseau, skin rashes, and persistent mouth ulcers have prevented me from letting all this go. I'm in therapy, it's going well, but I'm not sure if I can let this go unless I get another negative result.

You know, I'm not even scared of HIV anymore. The thought of it rarely leaves my head. Obviously I would love to remain negative, but I see people like you - and the DVD your foundation sent me, which moved me to tears - and realise that it's not a death sentence. You truly are a wonderful human being.

Some questions

1. What is the likelihood of my 3 month negative result changing? 2. Are my symptoms every bit as suggestive of chronic anxiety as they are of HIV infection? 3. If my nearly 7 month result is negative, should I let this go?

Finally, Dr. Bob, I ask you for your good luck karma that my test will be non-reactive. And that I'll be able to move on if it is.

Thank you a million times for all you do:)

Kerouac Guy

Hi there Kerouac Guy,

Welcome back to the forum. I'm delighted you are getting counseling and "it's going well" and that you are developing a more realistic and less-fearful attitude about HIV. BRAVO! I'm also extremely pleased you enjoyed the Foundation's DVD. We've received wonderful feedback from those that have viewed the disc.

Regarding your questions:

1. Nearly nonexistent!

2. Absofrickinlutely!

3. Same answer as #2 above.

Dr. Bob-certified good-luck/good-health karma has been signed, sealed and sent to Mr. Kerouac Guy!

Be well. (I'm absolutely convinced you are!)

Alternative sites for blood donation
Very anxious! I'm going crazy!!