Alternative sites for blood donation

I recently went to go and donate blood and was perminantly differred from donating. I practive very safe sex with my parter, and we both are very vigilant about any kind of Bloodborne Pathogens. I find it rediculous that I had answered yes to having an exposure incident at work with an IVDA patient and followed up with 6+ months of testing for it all to come back negative, and that be cleared to donate, but answering yes to sexual relations with a same sex partner is grounds for complete diferral. Whats the logic in that? I also wanted to know if there are donation sites that will allow individuals such as myself to donate? Finally, don't they screen the blood anyway before allowing it to be stored in the bloodbank?

There is no scientific "logic" to support this absurd policy. You accurately point out exactly how ridiculous and faulty their reasoning is. However, these are government regulations and we all now who's in charge of the government at the moment. Dubya's science-phobic policies reach far and wide. Certainly we all want to protect the nation's blood supply from bloodborne pathogens, including HIV. But a permanent exclusion for anyone who admits to every having a same-sex experience is neither a logical nor scientific way to protect the blood supply! And yes, blood donations are indeed screened. The one worry would be donating during the "window" period. However, donation sites have now begun using NAT testing, which greatly reduces the "window" period.

Let's hope a more rational science-based policy is soon adopted in place of what we now have. Let's hope the same for Dubya's other screw-ups abstinence-only sex ed., climate change, the Iraq War, health care, condom use, HIV prevention campaigns, etc., etc., etc.

Is it 2008 yet!

urgent please: might seek PEP
Odds of Different Result This Time?