Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Alternative sites for blood donation
Mar 28, 2007

I recently went to go and donate blood and was perminantly differred from donating. I practive very safe sex with my parter, and we both are very vigilant about any kind of Bloodborne Pathogens. I find it rediculous that I had answered yes to having an exposure incident at work with an IVDA patient and followed up with 6+ months of testing for it all to come back negative, and that be cleared to donate, but answering yes to sexual relations with a same sex partner is grounds for complete diferral. Whats the logic in that? I also wanted to know if there are donation sites that will allow individuals such as myself to donate? Finally, don't they screen the blood anyway before allowing it to be stored in the bloodbank?

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

There is no scientific "logic" to support this absurd policy. You accurately point out exactly how ridiculous and faulty their reasoning is. However, these are government regulations and we all now who's in charge of the government at the moment. Dubya's science-phobic policies reach far and wide. Certainly we all want to protect the nation's blood supply from bloodborne pathogens, including HIV. But a permanent exclusion for anyone who admits to every having a same-sex experience is neither a logical nor scientific way to protect the blood supply! And yes, blood donations are indeed screened. The one worry would be donating during the "window" period. However, donation sites have now begun using NAT testing, which greatly reduces the "window" period.

Let's hope a more rational science-based policy is soon adopted in place of what we now have. Let's hope the same for Dubya's other screw-ups abstinence-only sex ed., climate change, the Iraq War, health care, condom use, HIV prevention campaigns, etc., etc., etc.

Is it 2008 yet!

Dr. Bob

Previous
urgent please: might seek PEP
Next
Odds of Different Result This Time?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.